Trunk handle conundrum

Don Jordan

I took my whole trunk handle assembly off and took it to a lock smith to get a key made. While it was off I remembered I had a better looking assembly and so I put the lock in the new one. I can't get the handle out. It looks like it's crimped on. Is there a trick? I've got to get it off so I can get the sleeve that holds the handle.

Suggestions appreciated.

yes there is..you can carefully grip the bell shaped clamp and carefull rotate it back and forth actually pushing the crimp back to normal....this in the past has worked for me and makes the clip reuseable...I think I had a pair of rubber jaw backshell pliers..common in the electronics repair field..

Okay - I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I was thinking of pressing it out but that would surely break something.

I'll try rotating it though it's hard to get in there. I don't really need the handle what I really need is the collar. Is that something that could be made? Then use some sort of clip?

Thanks for the input.

the handle shaft goes through the housing there is the wavy spring wsher that keeps the shaft snug agains the housing and act as the wear washer also..pushing the collar down and crimping it onto the nipple of the handle and crimping it so that it will grip the groove on the nipple locks this all together..

If you ruin the collar, you can use a spring , washer, and cotter pin by drilling a small hole for the cotter pin to insert at a level that compresses the spring enough to keep the handle tight and able to turn without binding..a possible sprign cource can be a modern brake shoe backing spring....they are fairly stiff without being overly so..

• 8 years later...
On 8/7/2010 at 10:48 PM, BobT-47P15 said:

This is how the P15 (and other models) trunk handle goes together.

Not sure how you remove that collar holding on the handle without

damaging it.

100_8792.jpg

Yeah, I know, a REALLY old thread....

What book does this photo come from?

Anyway, the handle on my 46 (Doesn't show here, but it is designated by the number 23-14-1 in the parts book I have) is rather sloppy, and it's worn quite a bit in the beveled area where it fits into the main body assembly (8-57-30 in the diagram).  I was wondering if there was supposed to be a brass or bronze beveled washer in there, but according to this diagram, there isn't anything in between there.  I've read several different threads about this latch mechanism, and mention is made of the wave (spring) washer (23-14-5).  Mine has two of them.  Seems to me that doesn't do much other than make it stiffer, and a bit thicker.  An additional flat washer would have done the same thing, as far as shimming goes.  

Now that I was reading these threads, I saw how some of you all removed the crimped collar.  I had looked it over, saw how it was fastened in there, and since it was really rusty, and I hadn't thought of trying what was suggested to get it off while saving it, I sacrificed mine.  (I figured I would use either an E clip, or another type I have seen available, but don't know the name of.)  I'm thinking I will see if I can find a nylon or bronze sleeve to take up some of the slop.

Other than that issue, I wanted to take it apart to polish it more easily.  

Getting the lock cylinder out was a bit of a puzzle, and I don't have a key for it, so after I thought that maybe the cylinder had to be in a certain spot before you could depress the pin that holds the lock in place, I picked the lock with a jeweler's screw driver, then waa laa, I could get it out.

Is the square shank just pressed into the back of the handle?  I don't know that I need to get mine out for any reason, but just curious, because someone made a remark on some thread or another to that effect.

All the handles that I have seen from my 1940 Dodge to include some P15/D24 style ones show the square shaft cast with the diecast handle and not to appear removeable........the "handle" of whatever exact shape includes the shaft..............on my car, the Oz 1940 Dodge which uses a US 1940 Plymouth piece, I was able to use a ferrule from another handle assembly as a way to fill in the worn gap in the diecast body assembly where the handle goes thru and drill and install a washer and split pin to hold the handle into the body assembly .....dunno if any of this helps.............lol.................andyd

Well......I've never tried to take a trunk handle apart.  I have one that was worked on by a "locksmith" who might have been good with some sorts of locks....

but not so much with my P15 trunk lock.  It's been quite a while since he made a key that barely works and messed up some other part in there.  I would have to

find that item in my collection of spares to see what was messed up.  I simply found another decent handle and went on.  Sorry I don't have a better answer.   Bob