OT - Soffit Paint Removal - OT

randroid

Folks,

I've got about 80 sf of soffit in the front of the house that has been losing paint for a while and since we moved in just last May it only now reached the top of my honey-do list. Some PO (ain't they a good scapegoat?) installed screen over the gutter to keep out leaves and attached it along the inside edge by lifting the shingles and stuffing the screen under them. The shingles were never laid back down very well so the soffit paint dropped from moisture getting in above it, so I removed the screen, cleaned the surfaces, and shot tar in with a caulking gun. I placed weights along the edges and it seems to be tight and flat now, although I'll leave the weights there for a week just to make sure. Not all the paint fell off, just enough to make a statement that it needs fixing, and I want to remove the rest of the paint before repainting it, and to this end I seek your wisdom and guidance. The house was built in 1976 so I assume the paint contains lead but I'm only talking a small area so I don't see that as much of a deterrent.

Doing web searches gives me a few options but none of them seem viable:

A torch and\or heat gun would do the job in no time but would also vaporize any lead for my breathing enjoyment, not to mention I want to live here not collect the insurance.

I tried my DA sander with 60 grit and it doesn't even scare the paint.

Chemicals can be your friend but even though I have lots of protective clothing and gear to use when applying a remover I'm not do sure the chemicals would want to hang upside-down long enough to get the job done.

The soffit is 1\4" ply and coming loose in enough places that I'm sure I could remove it without damage to do the job on the ground but there are a lots of critters living around here who are looking for a new home while the space is open.

I'm sure I could leave it as it is for quite a while because this is a low humidity area and the soffit doesn't get direct sun or rain but I'd hate to leave the job half done.

Any suggestions?

-Randy

Edited by randroid

Hi Randy,An alternative maybe worth considering is replacing the wood soffit with vented aluminum soffit.

Ralph,

Thanks, that would be sweet, or I could buy 1\4" ply and replace the old soffit with new stuff that's already been cut and painted, but the owner stands too close to a dollar to spend that much. There's no arguing with him either because he's my wife's Dad and lets us stay here for cost; heck, I had to talk him out of the $6 for the tar. He isn't stupid and will pay what it takes to keep the building sound but there won't be any new construction going on here.

-Randy

Wagner makes a heat plate that will bubble the paint, but not vaporize it. You can scrape the paint while it is hot and it will peal, but be a mess and hard to remove from your putty knife. If left to cool, then it can be scraped off very easy. You will need large drop cloths to catch all of the residue that falls. I do not use a heat gun where the wood is very dry, easy to start a fire. You will have to watch the paint with the heat plate for it will catch fire if left in one place too long. I have an infra red heater I used when I stripped the paint from my house. It cost well over $400.00 so that would be overkill on such a small job.

Randy

I'm in a sort of similar situation. I don't mind doing the work, but it's a fight to get the owner to even meet me halfway. (I don't rent I work here...live in caregiver)

Sometimes I wonder why I fight with them for the privilege of doing work to their house.

Good luck with it.

Edited by PatS....

Don,

I checked pricing online and at Home Depot and aluminum soffit costs more than $2\sf, would need to be patched-in because it is sold only in the wrong sizes for this soffit, and the owner is gearing up for his 88th birthday and not too interested in any investments for his future. Other than those small drawbacks I think it would be dandy. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, the soffit gets no direct exposure to the elements other than the temperature.

The damage was caused by leaking shingles which are now repaired, and the soffit on the other side of the house (this is a very large duplex) that didn't have the shingles messed with is like new. It will be repaired but not replaced. Thanks anyway because your suggestion makes good sense.

-Randy

You don't have to remove all of the old paint to correctly fix the soffitt. The best thing to do to prep for repaint is to tkae one of the square scrapers and go over the surface to remove any loose or flaking paint. Then use a good primer and paint, Sherwin Williams makes a very good paint for exterior called Duration that is paint/primer and is designed to be a one coat paint that is very durable. The only soffitt that would need to be replaced would be any thing where the wood is water damaged.