cell phone OT

John Reddie

First, let me apologize for the long post but it helps to vent sometimes. I had an interesting experience today. A guy called me on my cell phone and accused me of stealing his cell phone from his truck this past weekend. His number was the same as mine he claimed. He said that the police were tracking the telephone on a GPS and were going to cuff and arrest me. He also said that he intended to prosecute me to the fullest extent. I could not convince this nut that he was sadly mistaken. He then told me that he was becoming pissed off and hung up. Three minutes later he called back and said that he just called Tracfone and they said that they had not issued the same number so the phone must be his. He again told me that I was going to be arrested shortly. I told him that I was ending the call and would deal with the police. In my shocked state, I never thought to tell him to compare the phone serial numbers.

I went directly to the police in my town and they almost laughed it off. The officer called the guy with the number that was recorded on my phone and told the guy to get a hold of Tracfone. The mistake was with them and not me. The guy seemed to back down when the police officer told him this. This afternoon I called tracfone and was on hold for 45 minutes and finally hung up without speaking to a "representative" which rather foils his statement that he found out about his number from them in less than three minutes.

Has anyone here experienced this waiting when they call their cell phone service? I like the idea of paying as I go but I am thinking now of switching to another company. Thanks for any phone advice here.

John R

I have been using net10 phones for a couple years now and have never had even one minor problem,,,,,,,yet. I believe they are part of the same company as tracfone. Heres what I do since I only use it to call home or my son, if I don't recognize the incoming phone number, I don't answer. Its become sort of a rule around here; if you don't know who's calling, ignore them. What would your caller have done had you not answered?

I'm a Net 10 user, too. For at least 5 or 6 years and no problems at all. Maybe it was some kind of scam or fluke? If this guy & you have the same number, wouldn't you be receiving his calls all the time? Have you tried calling your number from your phone? Does your own voicemail pickup?

I generally view cellphones as an annoyance and something for my convenience - not for the convenience of others who wish to find me whenever they please - so I usually don't answer for anyone but my wife.

I've got a Tracfone my self. Yes, customer service from them is terrible. I so very rarely use my phone that when ever I choose to take it on a trip it has sat so long that the battery is dead. I agree, if I don't know who is calling my cell, I don't pick up.

... if I don't recognize the incoming phone number, I don't answer. Its become sort of a rule around here; if you don't know who's calling, ignore them. What would your caller have done had you not answered?

I wish I could do that. My cell phone is company issued so many unknown numbers are customers calling for assistance. However, sometimes if I do recognize the number I'll ignore it. ;) Some people you just don't want to talk to sometimes. Let them leave a message and call them back later. :P Although I'd NEVER do that to you guys. :D

Merle

guy at work rode wityh me this evening to pickup a trailer then on to get a 4 wheeler he had bought...he had more incoming phone call on his cell is 1 hour than I get in a month..maybe more..I told him I would have to break that thing..I have mine and usually only 4 people on the average ever call me on it..

Mine is on 24/7 because its a business phone and its my business. Nothing like getting a call on it at 2 in the morning from ADT to go meet the cops because someone didn't latch the back door... but I digress.

I would have just hung up on the caller. I don't think its real, its probably just someone's idea of a joke.

Crossed phone numbers can happen even with residential. I can recall one afternoon when I was still living at my parents where some lady was calling from the airport. She must have called 25 times in an hour trying to get a hold of her ride home. She had the correct number but it was ringing on our end for some reason.

kids or brothers sisters parents, friends, anybody with a full plan??/

I have a Verizon on my oldest daughters plan,,,my own number and minutes which I dont use half of,,and it cost me 120 bucks a YEAR!!! yep 10 bucks a month altho I pay once a year every time my one grandson has a birthday,,so us old foggies can remember when.

most other companies have the friends and family plans also,,,dont get much cheaper,,,and its 'my' only phone,,,so no long distance and other garbage fees another company charged me for years

When I get an annoying call, I just put the phone down and five minutes later I pick it up, the caller is usually gone. Had a caller one time inform me that I had just won a new 40' motor home. I asked him where it was and where I could get the keys, and kept insisting that since he had my motor home and would not tell me where it was, he was a thief! It was a lot of fun. Needless to say, he tired of me after a bit. :D:D

My solution to unwanted callers who persist to talk (eg vendors I explained I don't need anything) is to ask them to hold on for a sec. Same as pflaming.

Then put the phone down and continue with work, they probably hear me typing and after a while the call ends.

It does seem to work as some companies that kept on calling stopped their calls.

Their money not mine.

John

My solution to unwanted callers who persist to talk (eg vendors I explained I don't need anything) is to ask them to hold on for a sec. Same as pflaming.

Then put the phone down and continue with work, they probably hear me typing and after a while the call ends.

It does seem to work as some companies that kept on calling stopped their calls.

Their money not mine.

John

When a unwanted call comes in, I just add their number to a "blacklist". I can have them get a "number no longer in service" message, just have it ring indefinitely or, my usual selection, go directly to voice mail. They never leave messages on voice mail, so that is the end of it.

post-34-13585356322521_thumb.jpg