B2B Col Shift troubles

In the lower right-hand portion of the picture, there's a small part which is mounted on the steering column just below the steering wheel. It's purpose is to "lift" the shifter rod. The part with the holes is on a screw thread. By screwing this in or out just a few turns, for me made all the difference in how easily my B3B 3-speed shifted. Barring any major issues I can't see or know of, I'd give this adjustment a shot. Just be sure to keep count so you can get back to where it originally was adjusted.

Hank :)

post-2934-13585356255985_thumb.jpg

Edited by HanksB3B

Thanks guys. I got under the truck again today. The truck is a frame off restoration of an original solid truck so the cab mounts are in good shape. I did find some loose hardware in the linkage and tightened it up but still no luck. So I am still open to suggestions. I have been considering putting a more modern top loader in the truck if I can't get this figured out. Any thought or suggestions on a possible swap out candidate?

I'll take a pic of the whatchamajigger on engine side of the firewall that I have to adjust about once per year when I lose reverse.

With any luck, 2 nuts, 10 turns each and you'll have yer gears back. The column shift is also a nice theft deterrant.

eek - I'll have to reread the How to Post Pictures thread.

Over the past few days I have spent more hours on my back under that truck trying to get that linkage to work that I am even more strongly leaning toward a swap to a top loader. If nothing else I'd like to have one as a backup to the col shifter. Any one got one laying around in the eastern central IL area or within an area where I could make the round trip to Kankakee in one day?

Over the past few days I have spent more hours on my back under that truck trying to get that linkage to work that I am even more strongly leaning toward a swap to a top loader. If nothing else I'd like to have one as a backup to the col shifter. Any one got one laying around in the eastern central IL area or within an area where I could make the round trip to Kankakee in one day?

im thinking about switching too i had the same problems. but here is what i had to do. take the middle pan out of the floorboard and use the shifter see if the lever on top of the trans. is pulling up like it suppose too. mine wasnt i adjusted it as far as i could still no luck. this is the lever that gives you first and reverse. took the lever off and used a i think 3/8 wrench and turned it as i put it in reverse it worked. that lever is suppose to lift that up and turn it towards the motor. i bent my linkage and my lever to get it too work. works good now. my lever had been broke by the previous owner too though and bubble gum welded back so i went ahead and got it to where i needed it and welded it up and works fine now. good luck.

I discovered while researching my adjustment problem that all of the photos that show the column linkage show the linkage running near the top right quarter of the steering column. My column linkage is on the lower right quadrent. Does anyone have any experience with that issue? Does anyone know how to rotate the steering column so that the linkage would be on the top right quadrent? I have loosened the clamp at the bottom of the column sleeve but nothing moves. The linkage is still hooked up. My next move will be to try bending the top lever as suggested by one of the responses.

Sorry it took so long. The camera was at the camper.

Here is the part of the linkage that I adjust every time I lose reverse.

In my case I roll the bottom nut down a few turns, send the top one down to meet it, check the shifting through all gears, rinse and repeat as needed.

Just watch out for the points of the drywall screws that the previous owner put through the firewall ... :eek:

EDIT: I also will take a shot of the inside of the cab and the linkage. Mine runs is closer to the bottom of the column than the top.

post-175-13585356343877_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allen I.
added info re: linkage on the inside of the cab
  • Like 1

I discovered while researching my adjustment problem that all of the photos that show the column linkage show the linkage running near the top right quarter of the steering column. My column linkage is on the lower right quadrent. Does anyone have any experience with that issue? Does anyone know how to rotate the steering column so that the linkage would be on the top right quadrent? I have loosened the clamp at the bottom of the column sleeve but nothing moves. The linkage is still hooked up. My next move will be to try bending the top lever as suggested by one of the responses.

Ever heard the expression.. "If it ain't bent, don't bend it ?" or something like that. A picture of Your setup might help solve your problem.

post-2934-1358535634455_thumb.jpg

post-2934-13585356344987_thumb.jpg

Is the 1st and reverse lever hitting the floor board? That was my problem, but only because the floor got bend down slightly when the transmission access panel was out. I put a jack and 4x4 chunk under there and bent it up.

Get under your truck and have someone shift it at the column, watching the travel. Disconnect the linkage at the transmission and shift it by hand and then compare the difference.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the post and pictures. I will be trying several of the suggestions. Also the pictures helped me solve another concern regarding connecting the linkage. I would post pictures of the linkage setup on my truck but I am on dial-up and connect at 12.4k, (I am way back in the woods and can't even get satellite). Posting a picture is nearly impossible for me at my connection speed.

Here is a pic of mine. Linkage runs on the lower right of the column ... shifts fine ... nothing rotated and nothing bent up.

I have had the truck for a few years and have had to just tweak those 2 nuts twice. Maybe the freeze/thaw/hot engine compartment where I live cause it to loosen up ... I dunno. I have driven her in sub freezing conditions and had to adjust in the spring.

post-175-13585356390289_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

In the lower right-hand portion of the picture, there's a small part which is mounted on the steering column just below the steering wheel. It's purpose is to "lift" the shifter rod. The part with the holes is on a screw thread. By screwing this in or out just a few turns, for me made all the difference in how easily my B3B 3-speed shifted. Barring any major issues I can't see or know of, I'd give this adjustment a shot. Just be sure to keep count so you can get back to where it originally was adjusted.

Ken if you look at the picture in Post #19 this is the part that controls how much lift the lever can accomplish. You can see it's cam action in the big picture in Post #13 if you look closely.

• 5 years later...

Column.jpg

My shift is mounted on the top. I see where your truck is a pre 52. Mine is a 53.  Late last night I discovered that the small adjustment screw on the bottom of my shift arm is missing. Got to find me a screw.  What an ordeal, had my son shift while I watched from under the hood and discovered that the problem had to be somewhere other than the adjustment of the square nut on the adjusting arm. Then after a lot of searching found this thread and I hope to solve the problem. About to get me a magnet and see if that screw is in the carpet. 

Wanted to drive the mountain this morning. . . . . test run.