What are the differences between '47 and '48 P-15 rear end?

TJM70's_48

I bought a complete rear end with brakes and drums thinking I would keep the drums, brakes and other useful parts for use on my 1948 P-15.

But, (forgive me, as I am still learning about my car and the series) I think I recall that there was a change in wheel size from 16" to 15" between the two years. I got some wheels that are bigger than mine, so I'm thinking the drums are different too...

Is the rear end otherwise identical? Are the drums the same?

Thanks,

Tom

Back in 2004, I needed some rear end work, seals, bearings, etc. When everything was pulled off and out, it was discovered that the passenger side axle was damaged. The very good mechanics couldn't figure out what the axle actually was, so a few older WP Chrysler Club guys came by and looked at it. Turns out, I am running 1952 Dodge pickup axles in PLYWOOD, which according to the two older gents gives me a higher ratio and a little more speed. We found a NOS 1952 Dodge axle, had it shortened about two inches and put in it the rear end, buttoned everything else up and everything runs as smooth as silk.

Good...thank you.

I don't have any problems with mine (that I know of), nor do I know what the status is of the one I bought...but it seemed worth it just to have so I can take the drums off, practice adjusting brakes, learn about the setup, and so on without having to learn the "hard way" on my car.

I'll take a look at the casting info.

So much to learn.