quick storm

Plymouthy Adams

was stripping my hood for the Suburban..was about 5-10 minutes from having it finished..storm moves in in about 5 minutes..get very dark...poured rain..now the sun is shining..but the rumbling the background tell me to not think of getting back to the hood..found two more spots that needed worked with the shrinking disc..whooped them out and now wire brushing the seams..using the razor blade one can strip the hood in about 30-40 minutes but not worth much of the seams at the hingle reinforcement plate and joint down the center..I am happy I finally found a hood that is in better shape..been looking for a long time..

Edited by Tim Adams

I have a 49 chevy p/u that i am getting ready to paint and it is striped of paint in the driveway, got up to find it rained sometime over night, not much but enough to put rust spots on it. lame weather man never said nothing about that in the forecast!:mad:

being as how it has not had time to root in, a quick wipe with some phosphoric acid on a damp rag ought to erase that surface rust...I did that just this morning..I had my hood under a tarp..it rained again last night..had a few drops of water on in a couple places..the ole acid takes it right off..I was not at the paint stage so a bit of rust is of no consequence for me at this time..but I do kill it as quick as I can..

being as how it has not had time to root in, a quick wipe with some phosphoric acid on a damp rag ought to erase that surface rust...I did that just this morning..I had my hood under a tarp..it rained again last night..had a few drops of water on in a couple places..the ole acid takes it right off..I was not at the paint stage so a bit of rust is of no consequence for me at this time..but I do kill it as quick as I can..

Tim, I have used phosphoric acid in cleaning out motorcycle gas tanks before coating them. It always worked well, no effort just mix with water n fill. A few hours later the tank would be all steel inside and no rust or crud. Now using it on the body of a car, do you just wipe it on with a damp rag let it work then neutralize it with water? Maybe dry it and spray a little bare metal primer before the flash rust starts?