Cheap pedal bushing

48ply1stcar

About six or seven weeks ago I finally tired of my clutch pedal scraping on the floor board. So I removed the lock clip, loosened the master cylinder and pulled off the pedal.

As most of you know you can’t buy a replacement pedal bushing. So there I was with the pedal in my hand and a dumb look on my face. Here’s my solution.

You know when you go to your local hardware store and you see a K&S Engineering display box of various tubes and shapes of brass and copper. Well I called K&S and they told me that I could buy a brass tube from there Special Shapes Division. So I brought a foot of brass tubing with in a 13/16 inch OD and a .029 wall thickness, TT826http://www.specialshapes.com/round029.html ($10 & 6 S&H). I polished the first 2 inches so I wouldn’t have to polish it later. Then cut it to length with a pipe cutter, I cut a 7/8  inch wide section from the length, and drilled a hole at the grease fitting. It fits perfectly. I haven’t had the car on the road yet so I’ll report back later.  As of Summer of 2018 it works fine.

http://www.ksmetals.com/

post-3184-1358535571728_thumb.jpg

post-3184-13585355718438_thumb.jpg

post-3184-13585355719038_thumb.jpg

post-3184-13585355719879_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48ply1stcar
Added info
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Fantastic.  There is always another way to skin a cat if you are determined to find it.  As one of my teachers was fond of saying, "The near impossible we do in a couple of hours; the impossible takes a little longer." Thanks for the share.

1 hour ago, tanner said:

Fantastic.  There is always another way to skin a cat if you are determined to find it.  As one of my teachers was fond of saying, "The near impossible we do in a couple of hours; the impossible takes a little longer." Thanks for the share.

The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.
~U.S. Navy Seabees