Big day today

greg g

Wasn't suposed to turn political, I paid my dues, 37 years of continuous emplyment with out a claim for unemployment benifits, So now I will take my entitlement, and thank those with the forsight to have set it up back in 37. Thanks FDR.

Be aware that you can draw SS funds and unemployment funds at the same time. I will also start collecting unemployment August of this year when my job ends.

I'm another August Baby Boomer that did the math and decided to start collecting my check at 62. Even though I applied 90 days before my birth date in August my first check will not arrive until 2 months after I turn 62. :mad:

I've gotten use to being a non paid ,forced to retire, building contractor for the last 2.5 years because of this lousy economy so....Ah....At least in a few months I'll have a little pocket money again to spend on the old cars again.:D

I started trading my time for money at age 12 mowing lawns and doing odd jobs so 50 years is enough already.

Ditto to posts #17 and #18

Edited by Reg Evans

I too am an August boomer will turn 62 on the 14th. I plan on retiring first of Jan 2011 so that means I will go for another year. Plan on saving my vaction and getting knee replaced at end of next year then coast into first of the year while I still have insurance. Need to go past January to collect yearly bonus and 3 weeks of paid leave. Can't wait, so much planned to do and maybe even raise some chickens and work at my hobbies I have put off for much too long.

What are you guys doing about health insurance? Company I work for doesn't offer any to go out on so it will be expensive to say the least.

Any suggestions?

Edited by tinlizzy
reword

Hey dezeldoc - look forward to the cars that are going to flood the market when us old farts head to the big garage in the sky :D

Were some folks in the military not on social security????

Seems that my annual note from SS shows my SS income going back in '68 when I went in.

I hadn't thought to check that. I looked at mine, and in fact I see entries there for the years I was on active duty. It was hilarious, as I working summers while going to college before I went in, and I made more taxable income in those 3 months each year than I did during my full years of active duty!

Marty

I semi retired at 50 for a couple years, working part time a couple days a week. About a year and a half ago, I realized I was working just about every day anyway, so I went back to working full time. Its a little extra money, but I miss having the free time.

If things go well, I may try it again next year.

I hadn't thought to check that. I looked at mine, and in fact I see entries there for the years I was on active duty. It was hilarious, as I working summers while going to college before I went in, and I made more taxable income in those 3 months each year than I did during my full years of active duty!

Marty

While in the army my pay was $187.00 per month as an E-4 under 2 with combat pay and overseas pay. After I left the army I went to school using the GI bill. Monthly pay for going to school was $250.00. This was $63.00 more than I made as a full time soldier.