Big day today

greg g

I spent a few minutes filling out my application for Social Security. First expected payment 10/1/2010.

Did the math on the collect at 62 vs collect at 66. Even though the later check is about 500 more a month, it would take 12 + years to catch up to what they would have already paid me should I wait. Somehow that doesn't make sense. Might not even be around to care, and they keep saying they're gonna run out of money so I'm gettnig mine while it lasts....

My wife can also collect this year so we should have some walking around money.

Greg,

I've pondered that myself and so far haven't decided to go that way, but nothing is written in stone. Please keep us advised on how many years it takes you to start collecting because friends who have done it give an average of four, and if that's at all accurate I may as well put my name on the list now.

-Randy

Mine might be a bit different as I have been collecting from other sources for the last 3 years. So my difference might be smaller than people who continue to work up to their 65 birthday, and cotinue to contribute at high levels till then. My actual wages last year was under 900.00 so contributios to my account have basically stopped. If folks are contributing at a high level at peak earning levels, the math changes.

Don and others: when I quit working, my health improved for the next five years. I am five years into retirement and in better health then the last five while working. Things that went away: sleep disorder, 24/7 miagrane headaches, some days better some worse but constant, endless shoulder ache. All these are gone, so Don, you may have a lot more than you think and I, like I'm sure others, certainly hope so. I've thoroughly enjoyed and learned alot from you. Thank you.

Greg, I get my first Social Security check in Oct also, I turn 62 in August, registared with Social Security in May. My wife starts hers next year at this time:):)

I agree, once I retired seven plus years ago, completely different frame of mind and what health issues there were are no more. Now I work part time for the town, a far cry from working in the NYS Prision system for 30 years

I waited til 65 just because I wanted to....started last year.

The Mrs took hers at 62.

So far, it's been fun. Nice to be able to go someplace at a moment's

notice......like a little jaunt we made to Neosho, MO this morning to take

something to a friend. About 20 miles from here.

While there I just "happened" to pass by the music

store, so I went in to say hello to the guys who own and run it.

(didn't buy anything, darn it)

I still play music at least once a week and sometimes more.....a little

spending money for car parts or whatever. She enjoys doing volunteer

work at a local hospital, the audibon society, hospice and assorted

other places. So we always seem to have something to do, which is

not such a bad thing. (How did we ever find time to work?)

as a civil servive employee with 36+ years, retired military of 20 years and with 26 years invested in social security..I am guaranteed only 1 dollar of every three of my entitlement..so rest assured my account will be shared with you other folks...(do the math, 82 combined pension years at age 57 and not counting any and all overtime)

I retired at age 62 -actually 61 - I turned 62 the following day..A "couple" of cars in waiting needing attention.Best idea I ever had.Life's good. :)

I retired at age 62 -actually 61 - I turned 62 the following day..A "couple" of cars in waiting needing attention.Best idea I ever had.Life's good. :)

I'll turn 62 August 31 of this year. My retirement date is the following day. Never thought I'd make it, but it's coming soon. And I can't wait. Plan to spend:D a lot of garage time with the P15.

A little known fact is that you may pay back all of the money that you have collected since age 62, drop out of social security for one day, then re-enroll at the higher rate for your age. That only works if you have a pile of money that you don't have to pay tax on. A friend of mine did that because he was 10 years older than his wife and she didn't have a work record of her own and he figured that he would leave her with a much higher income.

That is having your cake and eating it too. Or your taking SS early then paying back amounts to a interest free loan for about six years.

And congradulations, and good luck with learning to live with six Saturdays in a week.

Dennis

Great to have a hobby.Glad to hear you're amost there -I know How much I anticipated the forthcoming date -gave my 2 weeks notice and haven't looked back :)

I had no complaints with my job,great people to work with ,a raise to look forward to,but it was my choice and there was some younger folks waiting for me to move on.;)

Remarks like,"How come you're still working? -You should be at home with your feet up, a beer and watching ESPN.":)

Just wanted to tell everyone you're welcome. If you feel like sending me a yearly thank you card for paying my taxes it would help to ease the soreness from getting screwed by uncle Sam. I don't mind supporting those who have put in the time and paid their dues, but eight kids from multiple daddies because you get a bigger welfare check....... I'll stop there so as not to make this post political.

...and my take on that is -If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em!

Wasn't suposed to turn political, I paid my dues, 37 years of continuous emplyment with out a claim for unemployment benifits, So now I will take my entitlement, and thank those with the forsight to have set it up back in 37. Thanks FDR.

And I didn't mean to diss anyone less fortunate.i served an apprenticeship starting in the shipyards at less than 80 cents an hour.Fortunately for me and my family I had continuous employment for the next 42 years with a number of different employers with no bouts of unemployment or health issues.I was lucky..

A good friend that I worked with retired two years ago at 62. He was the kinda guy that always had to be busy. He would say on a daily basis, "When I retire I'm gonna kick back and not do didily squat... maybe fiddle with my old car but that's it." I told him he didn't know how to "kick back". He started on the car 6 months before he retired finished it a month into "kicking back". 6months later he opened a heat and air bussiness with his son. Now he's working more than ever. His health has improved and I swear he looks younger, maybe it's the tan.

I've got a few years before I file, but one of my coworkers who filed this month told me something interesting. If you served in the armed forces, sending a copy of your DD-214 (discharge papers) to Social Security will entitle you to credit for the years you were on active duty and increase the payment amount.

Marty

I took mine at 65, thought about waiting until I was 70 but decided against it. Used the first years pay to take wife to China to see daughter who was working there then. I worked 32 years for the state , same drawing board three different agencies and five different locations all in Austin Texas. Worked eleven years in the aviation field as a draftsman/designer before that. Be aware that you will have to pay income tax on the SS income if you have another source of income. I pay tax on 85% of my SS income. I will turn 74 first week in August, spent the day reinstalling my dual intake manifold after fixing the blown gasket between the two manifolds. That bottom center bolt in the intake manifold is a tough one to install with dual exhaust in the way. Took over one hour to get that bolt started and in, now I am only six weeks out from major back surgery not supposed to bend over or lift more than twenty pounds. Supposed to keep the hips and shoulders in the same plane at all times, how do you do this under the car putting in that bolt? I am so sore, hope I get some sleep tonight.