Clean Rad and Antifeeze!!!

55 Fargo

Hi all, last spring I bought a rad from Tim Adams, it was out of a 47 Dodge I believe. I installed it into my 48 Chrysler, although I had to make wider tabs in order for it to mount, it ended up fitting okay. The Chrysler rad is wider and generally bigger. It works just fine and does not leak in the least bit. Today I had to drain out about a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze from the rad so I could add pure antifreeze to strengthen the stuff to -40. Although the car is in my insulated garage I want to be safe and not sorry, even when the heat is off my garage genrally will not drop below about 20 to 25 farenheit even on the coldest nights in January (-30 at times ).So I drained off some antifeeze and was pleasantly surprised not one drop of dirt, scale or crud came out with the anti-freeze. I am hoping my system is good and clean now, last winter I took out the Water dist tube and some of the freeze plugs and powerwashed the inside of the block as best I could.

The thing is I now have the proper rad from a Chrysler for my car. I still have to inspect, flush and check it out before I use it, if it's not in good shape I will have it re-cored and then use it, as it fits properly and has a bigger capacity. So when I do this I will have this 1947 Dodge D24 rad available for somebody that may need it. It would be funny if I did send it back down south, as it is now in Central Canada and it came from Georgia......Fred

Hey RBBman, we can go up to 95 here in summer and 85 days are common, so summers here are warm but winters are cold. We are the coldest part of southern Canada, our weather is the same as Northern Minnesota and North Dakota. Other parts of Canada are much milder in winter, such as Vancouver BC, they probably have average days of 40 to 48 in January........Fred

Fred, Don't mean to be a SA, but did you just pour in pure a/f, or did you run the car for a bit afterwards? Better results if mixed.

I am from the Ottawa area, and I won't go head to head with anyone from near "Winterpeg" about who has it colder, you have us beat. But we get some seriously cold stuff here, too ~ not like those candy-a**es on the left coast...:)

Do you run your Chrysler in the winter?

I live in northern Ontario about 1000 miles east of Fred and 250 mile northwest of Tim. If we don't see -40 its been a real mild winter. It's kind of hard to describe how it effects things. Our house makes a loud cracking sounds. It's hard to see in my photo but the thermometer is pointing to -40. Check out the frost on my storm door and around the edge of the window by the thermometer.

Even our lake gets 3 to 4 feet of ice on it every year and people drive all over in 4X4 trucks to go fishing.

It reminds me of the joke about the Kie Kie Bird.....and out of the forest comes the cry of the Kie Kie bird....."KIE-KIE"......"KIE-KIE" "Christ It's Cold!"

Sorry guys I couldn't resist.....

Ian

post-232-1358534453392_thumb.jpg

post-232-13585344534346_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the front of my garage last winter. The 48 never goes outside, the shop is always above freezing, just like to have agood mix of antifreeze in my engies, just in case.When I added a 1/2 gallon, I ran the engine and got it mixed up good with the antifreeze that was in the block, i just wanted to strengthen it.............Fred ps we have had -40 here but usually -32 is about the lowest, last year we had -25 only a few times, this is farenheit

Hey now let me figure this out, I did not realize we this many members from north of the 49th parallel, now there is Phil.E, Pat S., Ian M.,Steve,Tim Frank,Alan Faust and myself the Centre of all this Rockwood. Good to see all of us Canucks on this forum eh!, wonder if there are any more. Yes it can get very cold in Southern Manitoba, as it is flat and windy here, so -24 celsius with a wind can be like -45 farenheit at times. We were really lucky last winter the whole month of January was like between -5 and +1 c or 20 to 34 farenheit, very mild for Manitoba in winter. This year is supposed to be El Nino, Alberta and Sask are supposed to be dry and warmer than usual, most of Manitoba and NW Ontario mild but above average precipitation, time will tell. We are supposed to get any where from 4 to 6 inches of snow here in the Red River Valley on Monday, along Lake Winnipeg it could be up to 8 inches of the fresh white stuff............Fred

Well, we just got dumped on by 6 inches of the solid white rain in the past 2 days.... glad the -30's haven't hit yet (that'll be a good 2 weeks worth in Jan-feb)... and anthony.... I'll take the -30's and white stuff (we call snow) over your tornado alley and hurricanes any day..... no offense intended...

Allan

We got about 3 inches from late last night till now, more coming tonight. Forecast for -15 tonight and a "high" of +1 tomorrow.

Likely we'll lose it all and have more shirtsleeve weather before winter REALLY gets here...this is just a teaser.

You'd think people would remember how to drive in the snow, but NO. Lots of parts trading today.

Hey now let me figure this out, I did not realize we this many members from north of the 49th parallel

For the record, I stay south of the 49th ;)

As for other canucks on here, I've given several the address, but I've never noticed any show up. There are at least 5 D25s in Victoria that I know of. I haven't seen any D25s in Toronto, but I did see a 49 Plymouth last year, and gave the address to the owner.