dash gauges B2B question

The photo must have been taken just after it was tested and on it's way down. This is how I found it this morning in storage. No it's wasn't 100 deg.

here today. If I gave it a shot of WD40 you'd think it was manufactured yesterday. It was, only yesterday was 62 years ago even I don't look that good. Yep it's bound for Oklahoma.

PN-1195741.jpg

Hank :)

Installed this gauge today. It looks, and (by all indications)works great. I am proud to get such an nice NOS part.

I have the old one that is going to get reconditioned (thanks to the Tod Fitch step by step walk through), and hopefully will then live again to do some more work. Joel

Joel,

I'm really glad you feel that way about the gauge. I'm now the proud owner of a NOS Trico Wiper Motor. It's funny but I installed it on Friday, so there you were installing your part in Oklahoma and I'm installing the part your purchase enabled me to buy in California.

DSC_0007.jpg

Ain't she a beaut! (To bad no one will ever see it)

Edited by HanksB3B

Your NOS wiper looks clean as a Safeway chittlin there Hank. No one will see it, but you'll appreciate it every time you use your wipers, no doubt.

I have been starting my engine and letting it get warm about a dozen times a day just to watch that gauge moving. Nothing like doing without something to make a guy appreciative.

I'm going to have my brother who is in this line of work make some up as soon as his wife gets out of the hospital. Merle.....I did get the faces you sent but haven't even looked at them yet because of the sister in law hospital thing.

• 5 months later...

Hey Merle,

If you still have a complete set of gauge face masters, why not go to any local graphic arts shop and have 'em copy off a coupla' dozen sets. Many of us on this forum would be happy for an opportunity to purchase a set at a fair price.

Why, you could make a little money - note the root word "little" - and make a whole buncha' Pilothouse guys and dolls happy folks this Christmas season.

Sounds like a "win/win" to me, all around.

Merry Christmas Everyone, even if'n it 'ain't politically correct any more.

I made a run to Walmart for some Christmas lights. It's around 80 deg today so I drove my "z" with the top down. I'll admit it was not as much fun (or memorable) as driving a 47 Willys in January in a snowstorm in Vermont with the windshield flipped down, but it was nice.

Two years ago I did a "Poor-Mans" restoration on my gages. They are holding up fine. In the Spirit of avoiding what would have happened to Ebenezer Scrooge, I’ve decided to “share” them. (Love the part where Picard learns to laugh again)

images-1.jpg

Guages_48-50_51_53-Sized.jpg

The above image is Not to Scale (download attached image)

Template_48-50_51_53-Sized.jpg

The above image is Not to Scale (download attached image)

My gauges (51_B3B) are the grey kind with the needle on the bottom. If you have the in-line cluster with Black Faces, (post #) before you use the template (if need be) please be sure to adjust your work accordingly.

Instructions:

1. Download and print the attached pdfs.

2. Print the Gage Cluster on Photo Paper (or as Keven discovered (see link below) print them onto self-stick peel-off print paper (used to call it Sticktback)

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=29918

3. Print the Overlay Template

4. Align the template over the Gage sheet and tape so that the two pages act as one and will not shift.

5. First Punch, then cut out the finished Gage Veneer. (Note the diameters given for each faceplate)

6. After you are convinced everything is correct (the screw hole locations and hole for the stop pins) spray a light mist of contact cement on both parts wait till tacky (per cans instruction) and adhere to existing gage face.

Tools: 8-1/2” x 11 Printer, X-Acto Knife, Harbor Freight Hole Punch Set.

Materials: High Gloss Photo Paper, Plain Paper, Contact Cement (spray can works best)

If I don't get a chance to wish each and every friend here on P15-D24 a Merry Christmas between now and the 25th...

Merry Christmas,

Guages_48-50_51_53.pdf

Template_48-50_51_53.pdf

Edited by HanksB3B

PS, do you have the same type of template for the Speedometer?

(ha,ha) As far as the speedometer is concerned I decided a paste-on would not work because it is a convoluted surface. I think to really do it right you'd have to go the painted-restoration route.

I wonder what the actual process was when they were manufactured? Did they use a paper template and air-brush process? I'm fresh out of speedometers (only have the one on my truck) but if someone wants to send me a faceplate from a non-working speedometer that is in good enough shape to work from maybe I can do something.

I know there are people out there that do full gauge restoration but I think it's in the $100s of dollars category.

Thanks,

Edited by HanksB3B