I need to make a very thin gasket

Don G 1947

So here is my problem. I need a gasket about .007" thick for the drive pinion bearing retainer on a 3 speed manual trans. I can't find any gasket material that thin. I need that specific thickness to hold the drive pinion bearing in the proper place. Anyone have a suggestion for me.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Don, you have been around corrugated material. If one went to a corrugator and got a piece of roll stock would that make a good gasket. Grocery bags are probably recycled paper and might crush better yet roll stock might be a bit stronger. Just wondering.

I was going to try to use e-flute for my interior cardboard but I think it would absorb too much moisture and eventually delaminate so I abandoned that idea.

I was thinking about using bag paper, but wasn't sure if it would make a tight enough oil seal, but it sounds like some of you have done that. Do you think I would gain anything if I sprinkled a little wax on the paper and then melted it into the paper with an iron (when the wife wasn't home)? Seems the wax impregnated paper might give a better seal and be more resistant to deteriorating. What do you think?

Don

I was thinking about using bag paper, but wasn't sure if it would make a tight enough oil seal, but it sounds like some of you have done that. Do you think I would gain anything if I sprinkled a little wax on the paper and then melted it into the paper with an iron (when the wife wasn't home)? Seems the wax impregnated paper might give a better seal and be more resistant to deteriorating. What do you think?

Don

I am slow on getting on line, but like Don C I would also suggest using a grocery bag. Years ago I needed a cover gasket for my oil pump and the only material that I found that both sealed and gave a good clearance on the gears was one cut from a paper grocery bag. Worked just fine. Not sure how the material or thickness of those have changed over the year but they probably are similar enough to the paper bags of yore that I'd consider using them as source material.

A good thin gasket material I've used in the past is the cardboard back to a gum-bound paper note pad. Works great alone...and seals better with spray gasket adhesive. I've used this for the axle to backing plate seal and pumpkin seal.

Most paper, such as printed material, magazines, etc., is .005, and is a compressed paper. Paper bags, newspaper, etc. is a soft paper, and even though a paper bag is often .006 or .007 it will compress very much. For gasket material, some auto parts stores sell thin, about .010, material.

Try Grainger or any store that sells parts for industry and ask for oil paper gasket material. It is like a grocery bag but comes in different thicknesses. It is made for sealing close tolerance gear case covers and is easy to cut to shape. I used in the Navy and still use it at work.:)

If thickness becomes really critical, buy shim stock from a supply house like McMaster Carr in your thickness and make a gasket out of that. Or alternately, wax paper may even work. Obviously, problem solved on this one, but maybe if needed in the future.