dash PANEL switch bypass & dome light

Go to solution Solved by JBNeal,

• Solution

This probably ain't an original idea, but I figger I'd float it out there: the PANEL switch next to the HEAD light switch seems kinda obsolete as all it does is operate the gauge back lighting. Modern autos have this lighting operated by the headlight switch, and this is a modification I'm going to implement when I re-work the '48. But the panel switch as a dummy knob kinda bothered me until just a li'l while ago...has anyone tried to wire the PANEL switch to the dome light? Or even mounted a couple of lights above the driver's & passenger's footwells under the dash? Post yer photos here if ya got'm...

Your suggestion is a good one. Hope you don't mind if I steel it.

Now have you figgered out how to get parking lights plus parking lights WITH headlights from our old switches, like the modern cars have? PLUS tail lights with park and head lights? On the stock configuration, only parking lights come on alone - no tail lights. AND the park lights go off when headlights go on. Tail lights come on only with headlights. Bummer . . . :mad:

Thanks

I believe that is correct, Ed. I thought about doing that too, but then I wondered why do I need marker lights up front when the headlights are right above them? They are "parking lights", not marker lights, which is why they only come on in the "Park" position. Although now that I have amber LED bulbs in there now, they really wouldn't be parking lights anymore would they. Hmm....

Merle

Only reason I was thinking about it is because I'm planning on putting a light kit in my hood ornament on the car and hooking it to the taillights would make it come on when I want it to.

That's what I did w my front parking lights. I t'd off of the tailight circuit on the headlight switch. Mike

Only reason I was thinking about it is because I'm planning on putting a light kit in my hood ornament on the car and hooking it to the taillights would make it come on when I want it to.

I used to have a boss that wore a golden rat ring with ruby eyes...You're not thinking of a Chrome Ram with red LED eyes are you?

Hank :eek:

After work I put my rebuilt speedometer back in the 48 plymouth. Somehow I screwed up the oil gauge line in the process. So now after dinner I'm going to work on that. Hopefully I'll get that sorted out quick and get my spring maintenence done and my pass side door panel installed. Only tonight and tomorrow night to work before we leave for WI.

Oil change and etc are done. Gauge with a tightening of the mounting screws and a tweak to the line seems to be ok again. No door panel installed. At 9 I quite and took the wife(that still sounds so weird) to DQ in the 46 pickup. Tomorrow its check air pressure and hopefully that door panel and then pack for the honeymoon. On saturday we'll be attending a car show in WI with Merle. And I wouldn't say its my favorite but the fleet farms here get some of my business. Best place for a 6v battery hands down.