Lower Control Arm Bushing Installation

blewett_john

I'm installing new lower control arm bushings on my '48 D24 3-window. I got new bushings and shaft from Andy Bernbaum in Newton, MA (very quick delivery). When I removed the old bushing the threads looked very, well, bad. The threads in the control arm also looked bad and looked like they were squared off on the top, not sharp. The new bushings also have these square threads, at least one of them does, the other bushing has sharper threads.

My problem is that the bushings only go in about two threads. The shop manual talks about using cutting oil when installing to cut threads. The experienced guys here at work say just use a bigger wrench. Also, the other side went together ok, not like a new fine thread, but not too bad.

Should I just use a bigger wrench? Should I tap the control arms? What size tap? Should I run a die over the bushing? Should I exchange the bushings? I've never done this before, a bigger wrench doesn't seem right.

Thanks,

John B.

401-297-9652