window rubber again

bach4660

I went to a local custom/rod shop where the owner has a '52 Fargo, he said he could get me the front and rear window seals, which I ordered but when they came in they are not a single piece but a strip of rubber- which sounded like the last thread about Roberts and Bernbaums. So anyways now that I own these window rubbers the question is how to install? Do you put the seam on the top of the window or the bottom, plus someone mentioned glueing the ends together?? is this correct and what glue do you use?

For what it's worth, my window seals appear to be original and they have seams at the bottom - still fit nicely, and they're old. The way I've been taught to install this kind of flat glass is to put the rubber on the window and secure it in several places with strips of masking tape, AFTER you have put a cord in place in the groove where the sheet metal will eventrually be when the installation is completed. Then silicone the rubber well - maby use tire changer-type lube - whatever, and hold it tightly against the body opening while someone else pulls the cord, pulling rhe inner seal lip inside in the process. Takes longer to describe than to do, but it's definitely a two person job, IMHO:)

Lot of luck . . . . . .

I used the long strip type gasket on my 41 P11D rear window. I made sure the two ends were perfectly squared off and then used super glue to put them together. The problem with this method is figuring out exactly how long it needs to be to fit the glass and opening without being too tight or too loose. Very difficult to do without putting it in place in it's finished form. I guess I got very lucky and guessed right the first or second time.I did mine many years ago and can't remember all of the details but it hasn't been a problem.:)

I tried this again recently with rubber from Roberts on my 52 B3FA and couldn't get it to work the same way. I finally bit the bullet and got the gaskets from Steele. If you have the corner windows don't even think of trying the long strip type gaskets. Those are difficult enough with the Steele gaskets and almost impossible with the long strips.:(