Hood Straps

My 51 B3B was originally equipped with hinge brackets that operated the hood. I can't remember why, but I think that while Slick and I were restoring our trucks in 1980, I just decided I liked the setup from his 48 with the stiffening rods and hood props more, so I took the ones off Clarissa (our parts truck) and installed them on my truck.

Correct me if I'm wrong but along with the rod and hood props there were canvas straps with metal ends secured to the hood and firewall that prevented the hoods from becoming damaged by either a gust of wind or just by opening them too much.

Does anyone have pictures of the original straps installed and/or any extra metal ends and fasteners. I could use the complete set of 4, but one could serve as a pattern for fabrication. Specifications on the strap as to the material, width, and length would also be helpfull. Is the fastener a phillips round head screw? What diameter length and thread size?

I'm guessing canvas or flat cotton weave was originally used but either black nylon or leather would work out and look great. Any pictures of how any of you Pilot-House fans did yours would help.

Thanks,

Hank

P.S. If this is something a bunch of us need, maybe I can have a limited run of them made available.

Edited by HanksB3B

Hey Hank,

The best I can do is share the videos I did on the front sheet metal removal.

Its on the youtube site I've been working. Give it a look, and see if it helps you out.

48D

http://www.youtube.com/user/194853DodgeTrucks?feature=mhw4

The video to watch is "1948 Dodge Truck 1/4"

Vazlov: Are you willing to ship one of you clamps for duplication?

48Dodger: That's a good peek at it. If you have time (I saw your latest project) would you photo the clips, spec what we now know is a phillips screw and measure the straps.

It would be a lot easier if I had one of everyting: clip, screw and strap. I have a feeling a bunch of us could use these.

Alternately are they available from anyplace like the Military Power Wagon Site?

Thanks and PM me if you are either a donor or want a set of these.

Hank

The strap is easy. I got some 1 inch wide nylon strapping at the hardware store and cut it to the length I needed. The end pieces would be different. I may have a couple in my stash but I'd have to do some digging. They are rectangular in shape and have spikes sticking out to grab the webbing. I believe they use a #12 phillips head sheet metal screw.

I don't think I have any good pics of mine installed.

Merle

Merle,

It looks simple enough to duplicate and I could see in the video (mentioned above by 48dodger) that the clips look like 16 ga U-shaped squares with 4 prongs punched through the face of the clip to grip the strap. I checked with Roberts. Gary doesn't carry the item, but he does get asked about them once from time to time. For me, black nylon would be fine, but I could also see using two pop-rivets instead of stamping the 4 triangle prongs. Leather could also work and might look even nicer.

Please let me know, as having something to start from would make it a whole lot easier.

Thanks,

Hank

48Dodger: That's a good peek at it. If you have time (I saw your latest project) would you photo the clips, spec what we now know is a phillips screw and measure the straps.

I'll make a video of the remaining straps and clips. See if there isn't an easy way to duplicate the "look" of the clip. I think I remember Jim shepard sayin something about using a regular belt material as a replacement. I'll post a link to the video here.

48D

Ok....

I'm still having fun learning how to use my video edit stuff...hope you guys enjoy the effort!

This is the link to the Youtube Channel where I'm making/collecting videos on our trucks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/194853DodgeTrucks?feature=mhw4

48D

How could anyone possibly make a video about hood straps interesting, fun and so thorough I really like it. Summer of 69 was a great song to pick as well. Maybe you should move down here to Hollywood and I'll move up to your ranch. Gosh there's nothing like having space.

Thanks,

Hank

What worked for me and seemed to be pretty close to original were a couple of old army belts I found in an antique store.

Jim, I'll be sure to check out the Army/Navy Surplus store. Merle, why don't you and Tim come out here to Hollywood and make movies together. I'll get up there and milk the cows. How long would it take me to drive there in my B3B.

Vazlov1949 is sending me a clip a screw and a length of strap. I'll try to get a small run-off of the clips going.

Thanks,

Hank

LOL... That was awesome... You've got way too much time on your hands, Tim. :D

Just trying my best to keep up with you Merle, and sharpen my directorial skills. lol. :D