An Australian Question

TRAINDRIVA

Gday....If it's no bother could someone from your side of the world give me the heads up on the best alternate suspension/subframe/chassis setup for my P15.....I don't really want to destroy the essence of the car so would like to keep all the original bits to one side for the next owner.

What I do want is better handling ride and stopping power. Plan is for it's first makeover I'm using an aussie six ( ford ) 250ci but later perhaps a v8. We have a fair range of vehicles here in aus including plenty of us imports. Lift the body off and plonk it on something else would be great !!To easy hey....

If I'm dreamin don't hold back...give it to me both barrels...being an Aussie makes us immune to abuse lol

we all have those dreams of changing these old plymouths..do this ..do that.

and you get thousands$ in the hole and wind up with a different car anyway.

plymouth has the best front suspension of the 40's. a few updates with shox, brakes and a few carbs and motor dress up, and you will have a great car.

all bolt on stuff and tried and true results.

stick with 90% of what's already there.

been there..done that.

bill

One thing to keep in mind is that, in general, modifications made to a car in Australia will require an engineer (or someone approved) to inspect it and provide the relivent paper work. (thats if you want to keep it all legal)

Each state is different so it would pay to talk to people in your state from car clubs or hot rods clubs about what you want to do.

There is a growing list of people that have bought modified cars or parts in from the US only to find they cannot drive the car or use the parts here without spending more money on engineers.

Edited by Tony WestOZ

Traindriva...where are you?........depending on the state you live in what you want to do may not be as easy as you think, subframes are not generally approved in Oz without major engineer involvement............there are plenty of ways to update your car without subframes........andyd.....oh and heres my 1940 Dodge thats had a V8 etc in it since 1973......and no subframe........andyd

post-1938-13585353783959_thumb.jpg

Unless you want to go road racing, the stock frame will give you a good ride. You can unpdate the brakes, add a rack and pinion and add a better roll bar. But rebuild the suspension and relocate the shocks first.

My 440 powered P15 runs down the road fine on stock (but modified as above) suspension.

post-328-13585353784478_thumb.jpg

post-328-1358535378484_thumb.jpg

post-328-13585353810859_thumb.jpg

post-328-13585353811533_thumb.jpg