Front Fender Seal?

As work continues it comes time to order more parts for future use. I noticed when cleaning up the front fenders that there was something riveted along the rear vertical edge, where it meets the cab. There wasn't enough left of it to determine what it used to be, or to use as a sample. What was left appeared to be some kind of fibrous material with thin wire running through it.

What was it? Wind lace? Fender Welt? Something else?

Need to know what to order,

Thanks,

Merle

I think that's the horizontal fender filler along the back edge of the fender where it meets the cowl. For the vertical stuff-I couldn't find anything so I cut some rubber strips about 3/4 inch wide and rivets them to the edge of the fender. Not factory, but keeps the debris out of the door opening for the door stop. Mike

Yes, Mike is correct. The Roberts T98 is the top horizontal edge filler. I already have a chunk of that. I need the vertical edge seal/filler. I wonder if windlace would work?

Here's all that was left of one of them. The other side was virtually non-existant.

P2100246.jpg

It's called fenderwelt. ( Andy B sells it in 25 ft rolls. But like all things , buyer should call and ask first.

And yes Merle- that was an original mopar #1097-571, maybe somebody can cross reference to a GM or Ford. Could have been a generic part for all makes back then. Couldn't hurt to ask about!

Fender welt goes between the rear fenders and the box sides. Wind lace is used in cars as an added seal inside the vehicle to help keep draft out. Windlace is usually round foam rubber tubing with cloth sown around it and held to "A" pillars and around the insides of door openings.

Merle - I'm still hoping someone will answer your original question in this thread - where to get decen fender filler rubber for Dodge trucks. I've seen several folks ask about this, but Reg is the only guy I know of who has the right stuff, and his is original. I have tried Roberts and it is way too thin and small. Does anybody have a recipe for a fix on our front fender-to-cowl areas?

Guys suggest you ask the car side. The p15s use the same stuff between the front fender and cowl. Someone had a source for it on the old forum but I've forgetten where.

What you need is a rubberized windlace. I found mine from an outfit in Oklahoma, but I understand they do not have any more. It has a foam-filled cell and its reinforced with wire. Roberts sold me something they said was original, but it wasn't filled, wasn't reinforced, and was quite abit stiffer than original. You'll need this material in two places. The first, as you've described where the fender meets the cowl just in front of the door; the second is where the wheel well "extensions" meet the bottom of the floor boards. This you can see in the attached photo. Hope this helps...

extension03.jpg

Pilot House trucks didn't have fender welting. What went between the rear fenders and the bed box was a kind of chaulking. You can purchase a very good replacement product by 3M called 'Strip-Calk.' Part No. 08578. I also used it around the hinges where they mount to the body.