Dodge Mail truck

Ken_Hart

I thought the price was high, but it seems most folks on the HAMB are will to negiotate... I thought I seen somewhere were only about half of the original planned quantity was actually built, like 500 or so... Does anyone have any real info..

would make a cool parts hauler for a business

I was going through my Tivo last night, catching up on "My Classic Car" eppisodes, and there was one of those shown on one of the eppisodes. It was fully restored and looked great. I believe he said that there were only around 800 built in '54 &'55. They were ordered by the US Postal service, but production was cut short because the government failed to pay fully on the contract.

Too bad I deleted it after I watched it. Maybe they'll rerun it again. They were at a car show in Oregon. Don't remember exactly where.

Merle

They were a pre cursor to the Studebaker ZIP VAN. They were right hand drive with a stand up driving position, likely fluid drive to allow two pedal operation. Geared such or governored to a top speed of about 45 MPH. Alot of specialty body work there with little hope for spares. Wit the rarety 1k sounds pretty good if it is in decent shape. Nice little parts chaser or fro somebody that has stuff on the swap meet circuit would make a neat hauler.

They were a pre cursor to the Studebaker ZIP VAN. They were right hand drive with a stand up driving position, likely fluid drive to allow two pedal operation. Geared such or governored to a top speed of about 45 MPH. Alot of specialty body work there with little hope for spares. Wit the rarety 1k sounds pretty good if it is in decent shape. Nice little parts chaser or fro somebody that has stuff on the swap meet circuit would make a neat hauler.

Greg;

My dad bought a Dodge truck similar to this but somewhat different in the early 60's at a post office auction. Think he paid around $250.00 bucks for it. It was left hand standard 4 speed (not fluid) drive. Had a granny gear that would pull wheelies when the engine was cranked up and the clutch was dumped. Dad bought it to haul his stuff to a new house he bought. I have a old movie of my dad driving this truck giving me a bump start in an old Ford shoebox I had taken on Christmas day around 1962 if I remember correctly. The movie also shows me doing donuts in the mud and snow in the Ford.