Whitewall Width

James_Douglas

Hi All,

Time for new tires on the Desoto. Although mine is a 1947 and the "correct" tire is a black-wall, I think I would like to put whitewall tires on it.

The best I can find out is that very late in 1947 (the 1948 model year) MOPAR started using Goodyear Super Cushion tires that could be had with white walls.

Has anyone seen an ORIGINAL 1947-1949 Goodyear Super Cushion tire ? The only photo I have, from the closed down Goodyear museum of rubber, looks like the whitewall is not super big like 4-1/4".

GY-tire-1.jpg

What I am trying to find out is what was the white wall width on these tires?

Best, James

I would say around 4 inches.

I use a smaller width of about 2 1/2 inch, which is more like late 50s or

early 60s size. I like it better than the wider ones.

firestone-670-15-ww-10in-rgb.jpg

Mine are 6.70--15 bias ply Firestones from Coker.

Are you going to use radials?

I forgot to put the photo tag line on the post:

Goodyear’s Double Eagle Nylon “Super-Cushion” was the 1948 version of the touring tire. Its size is 6.70-15.

I did a proportion on my screen assuming the rim is a 15" as stated in the tag on the photo and the whitewall comes up as 3". If you look at the photo it just does not seem to my eye to be 4".

Comments folks?

James

I forgot to put the photo tag line on the post:

Goodyear’s Double Eagle Nylon “Super-Cushion” was the 1948 version of the touring tire. Its size is 6.70-15.

I did a proportion on my screen assuming the rim is a 15" as stated in the tag on the photo and the whitewall comes up as 3". If you look at the photo it just does not seem to my eye to be 4".

Comments folks?

James

I had those on my belair long time ago and as I recall were 2 3/4" white wall. why 2 3/4" inch? beats me...but that is what it was. I kept hearing people saying it was three inch gangster white wall. so I started to repeat that as well. maybe 1/4 inch was under the rim?????:D

James,

I can not speak to the width of the white-wall, but the molds used by Coker are 'allegedly' from the factory. So, they should be period correct.

They became 'optional' on the Chryslers in mid 1947. It creates a nightmare when trying to match fenders when you need a replacement. The rims on my 1948 New Yorker club coupe are 15" X 6".