What is your job? OT

Don Coatney

Retired. Taught HS Literature for 15 years in the 60's/70's, then worked for a packaging company in fruit box sales and packaging machines until I retired. The truck takes up spare time, getting close. Oh and I read the forum regularly.

Edited by pflaming

Retired couple years ago from a job that was hard to do anymore due to health reasons.

I thought I could find something more hospitible.

Thinking of buying cheap houses and flipping them,,but the market is too high to buy and too low to sell.

Might have to demo old tear down houses, driveways and garages for beans to eat.

Any other suggestions as to what to do are GREATLY appreciated.

Unless you are a truck driver or masters degree in whatever field they are looking for,,,jobs are slim.

last person said the job they applied for there was 350 applications

Its pretty bleak out here,,but living is pretty cheap,when you dont go anywhere or do anything!!

I may have to move to Omaha to find any jobs,but it is tough there too,I heard.

Guess I spent too much raising my 5 kids all by myself!!

I am the "2nd shift" Quality Assurance Supervisor for a canned foods plant. I have the privilege of working at the only facility in these united States that fills cans inside a large hyperbaric chamber. We fully process a gallon can of nacho cheese in 18 minutes while every one else takes almost two hours, (PV=nRT). I also supervise two hydrostatic continuous retorts and have the potential to have as many as 60 vertical still retorts running at one time. We are also one of two Vienna Sausage factories left in these united States.

I'm an electronic warfare engineer, DOD Air Force civilian for 30+ years. That may not make sense to most people but its a specialized field that develops and tests electronic systems for detecting, deceiving, avoiding, and/or disabling hostile electronic systems that intend to shoot your aircraft down.

Maintenance Electrician; Surface coal mine. There were about 650 of us three years ago, but we stopped mining and are in the reclamation mode. Now, there about 18 of us worker bees and about 10 supervisory and eng. types.

I work for a bottled gas distributor in the Ironbound section of Newark N.J. There is on some level, a certain beauty to the sheer ugliness of the area. The place is littered with remnants of once bustling factories which have long since fallen to decay and disrepair. I'm pretty lucky since I get all the jobs that everybody else either can't do or don't want to do since I've been at it for so many years.

I recently found out how the Ironbound section of Newark got its name. The entire neighborhood is completely surrounded by railroad tracks.

I work in a medium-sized shipyard and am responsible for scheduling all of the available manpower to make sure that all jobs are completed in time. We work on most of the tugboats, ferry boats, barges, and Army and Coast Guard ships in the SF Bay area, as well as vessels that come to us from San Diego to Alaska.

Marty

Until the bottom dropped out of the economy here I was a home designer/building contractor. This was the last one I built when the doldrums set in. Been twiddling my thumbs for 2 years now. I'm going to go ahead and retire next summer at 62.

petesroof2.jpg

I'm an electronic warfare engineer, DOD Air Force civilian for 30+ years. That may not make sense to most people but its a specialized field that develops and tests electronic systems for detecting, deceiving, avoiding, and/or disabling hostile electronic systems that intend to shoot your aircraft down.

Alan, My brother in law does the same thing, got promoted to manager a year ago has 10 or so people working under him. he loves it.

I have worked for a Florist for 40 years. Started in the delivery department and worked there for 11 years and then to our interior landscape division, we install and mantain large and small green plants for commercial buildings.During this time I was a volunteer firefighter for 20 years.We averaged 1100 runs a year and were rated in the top 25 departments paid or volunteer in the Nation. Loved it! Plus during this time I ran a small business restoring old jukeboxes- still doing this. We did the three job thing for 15 years. I did this to retire at 52--I had a 30 and out pension with my full time job and the contract when I was 10 months short of my thirty--they decided to go to a 401K---they took my 30 out option. Well I`am 62 and still working. :D

I retired from non commercial food service managment. I worked at New York University, Penn State, and Syracuse University as a Manager of a student Dining Halls, I worked as the Assistant Director of Nutritional Services at a 400 bed hospital in Syracuse, where I was instrumental in redesiginig all of the food facilities in the building, and I retired as Director of Dining and Conference Services at a SUNY campus. Overseeing 5 facilities, the purchasing depratment, the maintenence unit, a bakery, a C store, concessions at athletic facilities, and the catering and conference support department. Supervised a professional staff of 16 and a hourly staff of over 120 full and part time emloyees, and 90 student employees. The department had a 10 million dollar annual budget, serving 3500 full and part time students.

We dealt with every type of service and preperation from short order to fine dining, and legal beverages.

I started my professional carreer in 1967 and retired in 2005.

Currently do as needed trips for a new car dealership transporting vehicles resulting from dealer trades. Had a 270 mile drive today. Haven't done much since before Christmas, but have made 8 trips in the last two weeks. Might be a sign that the economy is coming around. But could also be a sign of tight inventories at Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealers

If anybody is looking for a new Truck the 2010 Rams are turned out really nicely and even with the Hemis, get about 18 on the highway ap per the onvboard computer. This with 0 to 100 miles on them. The redesigned rear suspension rides and handles very nicely even empty.