Cheap 6 volt tunes

FMSPEED49

So being a total dunce when it comes to electronics, I'll ask the question and see if I can learn something. Could you also run something that runs off a small 9 volt battery in the same fashion? Something in me says that big ol' car battery would fry it, but then again...

Don

Don,

The size of the battery would have no effect on your device. It'll only draw as much amperage as it needs. However, a 9 volt device may not get it's full voltage need with a 6 volt system, even when charging. And a 12 Volt system would be too much for it. Although if you were running a 12v system you could buy a power adapter for your device that'll have the proper 9v output.

Merle

The radio is designed to use 6 "C" cell batteries, Brand new they are 1.5 volts per battery. So it is designed for 9 volts , yet seems to operate at 6 fine, and at 7-8 while charging also.

I have decided to run this set up for a few more hours (of actual cd play time) , then I will clean it up and take pics for you guys.

I am going to look around and see if I have anything that runs on a 9 volt, if i do , It will be sacrificed to the 6volt positve ground God's.

I understand there is a chance of smoking this thing, but the whole reason for the experiment was to not have to buy step ups, or wire in other electrical parts,buy car radios or run an extra battery or jump battery. Just a $29.00 radio, 3 feet of wire I had laying around and a $2.00 inline fuse.

most regular dry cells are 1.5 volts, so a component with 4 batteries would be a 6 V unit. So if you can power it by soldering some wires to the battery connections, then it would make sense to connect it to one of those accessory plugs for the cigarette lighter. I believe you would wire it inversely to a 12 V, so the neg post wire would go to the conection for the center post of the acc plug and the positive would go to the conection for the outside connection. Will be rummaging through my old boom boxes later.....

I used a cheap 4AA powered AM-FM from the local Big Lots mounted on wood in a spare 802 case. The 802 knob shafts are connected to the radio with flexible tubing. the power is wired with the light thru the top button of the 802. Antennae wire tied to the antennae lead-in. Good enough for who its for. This means anyone can do it.

post-60-13585345107703_thumb.jpg

Guest Gerhard Tieseler

I'm really interested in the AM modulator as well. Between me and my better half, we have six cars and 4 of them have working AM radios. But they don't have oldie stations anymore! A converter like that would save us from monotony and traffic insanity! Do you have a schematic and/or parts list?

Thanks!

Some of you know from past postings my foray into trying to make a box that allows those of us with original electrical and radios to have nice tunes.

For the rest of you, here goes the tale.

Working with a person who builds Am modulators for the antique radio crowd I had him make a prototype of an AM modulator that would work on 6 to 12 volts and positive or negative ground.

The unit had to be high quality with gain and sensitivity controls. It also had to have the ability to select the frequency which it would broadcast on. It also had to not interfere with the stock radios ability to play normally.

After about a year of development and testing, we were ready to market. We needed about 25 people to commit to an order so that we could have the circuit boards manufactured. They were going to cost about $$275 each at retail.

I could not get enough people interested, so the project was dropped.

If I were to make some up by hand the cost of my time would make them very expensive.

That's the story. Best, James

Too bad...the iPod and the modulator are made for each other.