Swan Mirrors....

thrashingcows

I came across these while surfing for Desoto stuff on E-pay...saved the auction because I really liked the mirrors.

I had no idea they would be pulling this kind of money!!:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330402264800&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Now were these an original dealer item or just a now forgotten aftermarket companies production unit?

Yes those are OEM optional equipment. Save your money and buy a set of these. When I got them they were $100 from SoCal speed shop. And you can actually see both of them.

48with50.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys. I had no intention of buying them, unless they were like $100.

I have been looking at sets like the ones you both posted. Not sure what style I want on Fernando yet. Will wait until I have the car home before I decide. I can always make up a couple dummies out of round stock and cardboard to give me a feel for what works with the car.

This style of mirror was part of the belt trim moulding. You will notice that they screw directly into the car and do not clip onto the metal.

The 40' Chryslers and Desoto used these as part of the belt moulding and you need this to complete the trim. They are not very well design to acutually see cars comeing up on either side.

rich hartung

with a zero buy bidder in there running up the price that is nothing but scamonomics 101 in practice..when I see this..I laugh..

Whenever I see that ploy tried on me, I just wait for an other to be listed. I once had some one that tried that send me a second chance offer. I told him that I would get an other one from some one that didn't use shills.

Yes those are OEM optional equipment. Save your money and buy a set of these. When I got them they were $100 from SoCal speed shop. And you can actually see both of them.

48with50.jpg

I was given a set of spotlights with mirrors off a '40 Ford a few years ago. I've been nervous to have them installed as I also have the side mounted antenna and do not know if the spotlight will interfere with the antenna.

post-1498-13585353446699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captain Neon
Photo didn't load properly

I doubt you could see any better out of those mirrors in a convertible,

either.

They just look cool, is all.

I use a little later style mirror.....on the driver's side only.

I had one, but found this one with a bit longer shaft - so it

stands out from the body a little farther so as to see around

the "bulge" in the side.

IM003181__L_rear_view_mirror.jpg

The mirror on my Dodge is a home made concoction that uses a swivel & mirror from an old one I found yrs ago, I bent up a piece of 3/8 steel rod, welded some pieces onto it to go either side of the door pin, chromed it and voila!...... the 2 on the Plymouth are aftermarket ones, they used to be hanging from the top door edge when I got the car but were useless in that position, mounted on the door leading edge now they are quite o/k........andyd

post-1938-13585353475612_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585353475884_thumb.jpg

I have them on my '41 (slightly different from the '46-'48 ones). Found the passenger side one at Hershey for $25. Bought the driver's side from Jay Fisher for a lot more than that but exceptional quality. Driver's side is useful, the passenger is just for show.

Jim Yergin

Woodie5.jpg