Rare....rare vehicle

Roadkingcoupe

Pictures are from a site called Allpar and there really is some interesting info.

Notice on this D25 that not only does it have Plymouth fenders (and fender moldings) but the roof line is higher then the D24 vehicles.

http://www.allpar.com/world/index.html

post-165-13585353334308_thumb.jpg

Regarding the 39 Plymouth Coupe, I know that particular car, it was originally a pale green, very nice condition when purchased by a mate from I think the original owner back in the late 70's........thats a TJ Richards body, made in Australia was only used for 1939, 37/38 useda two dr sedan as the "coupe".........the "willys" coupe style body was used by both Dodge and Plymouth in Oz in 1939 and was also used by Willys. 1939 Dodge & Plymouth Utes also used the basic coupe roof shell and front sheet metal.......andyd

• Like 1

In Eds photo the vehicle appears to be a Canadian 1939 Plymouth bodied Dodge (Plodge).

The sedan in the photo has very unique tail lights that are glass Plymouth teardrops with the word "Dodge" embossed where the Plymouth "ship" would have been.

The first photo is of an extremely rare 3 Window Coupe special bodied in Australia. As Andy has pointed out.

I would really like to see one in the flesh. Along with a 1939 Plymouth AUS UTE.

Its good to dream.......hey Andy any chance of locating/sending the 3 window Cpe and the Ute in the same 40 foot container to the other side of the world?

How about this 1956 Diesel Plymouth.

post-165-13585353336981_thumb.jpg

I know where there are 2 39 utes slowing becoming one with their surroundings, pity......tho this guy wasn't particular........he also has let a couple of 35/36 Ford Roadster Utes, 39 Ford Convert, 39 Ford Roadster and other cars rust away to nothing............but 39 plymouth/Dodge Coupes are fairly rare now.........nothing like these are in wrecking yards now.........andyd

Here is a link that has Lee's Exline's web article about the differences between AUS and US vehicles (utes). Lee's web page has been reprinted in Australian Chrysler Restorers club mag 2004 there is some very detailed info. The article is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.chrysler-restorers-sa.org.au/crcmag150.pdf

3WCoupe, gidday from another aussie, nice Coupe there, whats it running?..... I have never seen any TJ Richards production numbers published, the supposed reason is due to a fire in the TJR/Chrysler plant in Adelaide in the 40/50's that destroyed these details, but I'd be surprised if the numbers were that low, I have seen maybe a dozen or so 39 Dodge/Plymouth Coupes over the years, say since the late 60's when I got interested in cars......my second car was a 1940 Oz Dodge Coupe, this pic of my car in the Dodge Story article in Eddie Ford's old Custom Rodder Magazine # 14, Mar/May 1972......I had this car from 1970 thru to about 1988, I bought the 1940 Dodge Sedan originally as spares for this Coupe in 1971, I still have the 'ol brown Turd, and I've also this 1941 Plymouth Coupe........btw the rear end pic of your car reminded me of a little known piece of info......all Oz Dodge/Plymouth Coupes & Roadsters from 1936 to & including 1940 used the same bootlid......does yours have the flat stamping on the inside frame pressing for both the boot hinges at the top and the dickey seat hinges on either side?.......I've seen this feature on all the Coupes/roadsters including the 4 1940 Coupes I've seen........anyway Welcome to the best Mopar info site on the internet......these are a great bunch of guys.........Andy Douglas

post-1938-13585353376876_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585353403124_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585353403478_thumb.jpg

You talk about a fantastic car. WOW that is something to look at. I tell you USA we have been jipped. The three window coupe in 1939 would have been a big seller here. I don't get it. Did we have a htree window dodge or Plymouth in 1939. The only thing I remember and correct me if I am wrong we lost the rumble seat then right?

First I hear Studebaker sent the hardtops abroad in 56 now this, amazing.

Thnaks for posting that, interesting and on your first post impressive!:D

You talk about a fantastic car. WOW that is something to look at. I tell you USA we have been jipped. The three window coupe in 1939 would have been a big seller here. I don't get it. Did we have a htree window dodge or Plymouth in 1939. The only thing I remember and correct me if I am wrong we lost the rumble seat then right?

First I hear Studebaker sent the hardtops abroad in 56 now this, amazing.

Thnaks for posting that, interesting and on your first post impressive!:D

yes the us coupes lost the rumble seat in 39 but the convertables still had the rumble seat .3windowcoupe

One of the nicer cars not sold in North America!

That coupe has almost the same roof line as a 39-40 Ford coupe,and that's as pretty as it gets.

We got robbed in the US.

• 11 years later...

Marcel I assume you mean the Oz "Slopers".....and Johns45..........where are you, thats a nice 39 coupe....andyd

John..well keep am eye out for my old 41 Plymouth Coupe, a RHD ex South African assembled car.....I owned it 2007 to 2013.....sold it like a dope to guy from Kahuna who said he was gunna restore it.......lol.....have not seen it in any event coverage since..........heres a pic..............andyd

IMG_1355.JPG

• Like 1