One for the Left coasters OT

greg g

My guess, and I emphasize the word guess, would be Long Beach.

There were extensive oil fields with land based drilling in that area around the time the photo was taken. I believe they still get some oil out of those fields but with horizontal drilling they get by with far fewer surface installations.

Hard to tell but the car ahead of the pick up in the right lane sure looks like my 1933 Plymouth.

I would agree - looking at the sign to the right, there's an Atlantic Avenue in Long Beach that runs north from Downtown. I don't know if they still pump oil down there but they definitely refine it. There's also other oil fields in Huntington beach, Ingelwood, and Montebello. The last two are still in heavy production. I know that during the recent height of crude prices a couple years ago, the Montebello oil field pumped $100,000 worth of crude each day.

Sorry Dave that might have been misleading. I was referring to the windfarms sprouting up around here. They may be necessary but they are defining the new energy related ugly. Replacing strip mines, oil derecks and Reactor cooling towers. This pic was labled as being longbeach. No mention of what hywy it is.

...the real location, I can recall some old photos I've seen of Long Beach in the 30s and 40s and all those wells. You can still see lots of the caterpeller pumps working out there.

Sorry Dave that might have been misleading. I was referring to the windfarms sprouting up around here. They may be necessary but they are defining the new energy related ugly. Replacing strip mines, oil derecks and Reactor cooling towers. This pic was labled as being longbeach. No mention of what hywy it is.