Dual carb air cleaners

Guest Gerhard Tieseler

Guest Gerhard Tieseler

What do you fellas with dual Carters use for air cleaners? I'm trying to get some filtration for my 47 D24 but I only have one oil bath, and those big ol' Edelbrock air cleaners just don't seem to fit! I made some for show out of some chrome 45 degree exhaust tips, and they look pretty tough but they don't have filters. I'm kicking around the idea of putting screens in my homemade tips with scotch brite pads for filters (I've seen that done before) because it's cheap and I would assume somewhat effective, but I'm curious to see what other people have done. Thanks a bunch! - Gerhard

post-609-13585345093091_thumb.jpg

Hi Gerhard,

I tried the small chrome louvred air cleaners which look great but, I think, restrict air flow.

Then I changed to 4-inch tall reproduction Edmunds Custom units, with washable inserts.

Got these from Charlie Price's Vintage Speed and fitted them using clamps cut down from two old oil-bath cleaners.

Very happy with the look and performance of the set-up.

post-13-1358534509343_thumb.jpg

I only have one carb, but from earlier posts it seems something like Robin has is best. Several people said the little cleaners did not let in enough air for good performance. Some have even stacked two or three of the small cleaners and then noted better running.

I got my filters from the same place that sold me the Offy intake. They fit the B&B carters real well. I don't see any evidence of too much restriction, but as soon as I use up all the paper elements I've stockpiled, I plan to go with K&N inserts, since they are almost sure to flow more air than the paper elements. Someone a while back posted the correct K&N numbers for these.

post-64-13585345093827_thumb.jpg

Justin, mine clamp on nice and tight. They are a little different from the ones sold in auto stores because they're made to fit the Carter 1 barrel carbs. Most of the ones in the stores are really made to fit something like a Stromberg 97 that has a slightly larger neck and they don't seat very well on a Carter B&B.

I found a website that lists every K&N element by dimensions, offset, etc. and there are a LOT of them. I'll bet you can reference the correct elements for those neat Hudson cans, as long as they are not oil bath. I'm at work right now (shhhh don't tell da boss) but tonight I'll look for the link to the K&N charts and post it, as well as the part number for the small K&N elements.

Hi,

If you look at a thread with photo's from Don's visit with me, you can see that I used an off the shelf Edelbrock foam air cleaner. What I did was to weld a plate across the bottom and then cut a hole in it to fit the clamp of original air cleaner. A shot 2" piece of exhaust pipe was used to connect the two.

Worked like a charm. I have an extra original filer neck cut out and waiting should I ever decide to run duels again.

Best, James

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=1468&highlight=san+francisco

OK, as promised, here are some references for filters. The first link takes you to a page where you can find K&N filters according to dimensions:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx

Then, the place where I purchased my offy manifold and my air filters, that fit the B&B carbs: Car Products, P.O. Box 96, Paragonah, Utah 84760, 435-477-8213. At the time a couple years ago the chrome filters were only $9.50 each. Wherever you get them, you want the ones that fit a 2-5/16" neck. The larger ones, for a 2-5/8" might come with the adaptor ring but just don't fit as well.

Car products also sells "gauze elements" for these, at $9.00 each. Not sure what that is though.

Lastly, the K&N numbers for filters that reportedly fit the small chrome air filters: #E3120. This is 3-7/8" OD, 2-7/8" ID and 2" high. This is from Jim Wilson on the old forum, about a year ago.

BTW, the Offy dual carb manifold, with linkage kit and fuel line kit included, was $233.95 plus shipping, when I purchased from the guy in Utah back in Sept 2005. Part number is 2374.

Guest Gerhard Tieseler

Thanks for the info guys! I got some really good ideas now. I'd hate to sacrifice the oil bath for this setup, and the money is a bit tight right now, and after posting this thread, I found one of those little VW style K&N air cleaners in the pile. They probably don't flow very well, but they fit. One more and the old Dodge will breathe clean. I posted a pic of my homebuilt air cleaners. It's a shame they don't actually filter because they sure do look intimidating. Next I need to build some better matching carburetors!

Also, keeping with the inline theme, I need to install the red engine into our Edsel, if anyone remembers a fellow who went by youngnovice. I believe he sold his '48 Dodge so he might not be around anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions!

post-609-13585345095636_thumb.jpg

post-609-1358534509612_thumb.jpg

fyi....the 40 and 41 carter carbs have a larger section to clamp on the aircleaner while the 46-52 carters have a smaller and ever slightly tapered area, making it hard to attach an air cleaner. on my 46 motor i swapped the top ends from an early carb on the bottom ends of the later carb. it all fits and works well.

but i like the home made versions better than the little chromies that are frequently used..

bill

Guest Gerhard Tieseler

Good idea! I might change things soon however. The old carbs cough sometimes and they only idle good with the mixture screws turned all the way in. I have three more units to Frankenstein into hopefully two good carbs. I need some time....

I spent today on a really careful and detailed carb rebuild, concurrently with installing a fresh set of exhaust pipe gaskets and a few other projects. So far this is looking like the best carb rebuild I've done in a long time. I used carb dip instead of spray cleaner. I think it gives better results and a better finish to the metal.

Thanks for the info guys! I got some really good ideas now. I'd hate to sacrifice the oil bath for this setup, and the money is a bit tight right now, and after posting this thread, I found one of those little VW style K&N air cleaners in the pile. They probably don't flow very well, but they fit. One more and the old Dodge will breathe clean. I posted a pic of my homebuilt air cleaners. It's a shame they don't actually filter because they sure do look intimidating. Next I need to build some better matching carburetors!

Thanks for the suggestions!

long time no see guys i have been on the side reading my new son is been keeping me busy

in regards to the pipe tips is it possible to take a filter element and cut it into a round shape and maybe dip the edges into some rubberised glue or something sort of like the premade coffee elements you put in the coffee pot thats premix its round and drops right in you would be able to keep those stack and drop the filter down inside if that works heck im going to do the muffler tip style too it looks nice

OK, as promised, here are some references for filters. The first link takes you to a page where you can find K&N filters according to dimensions:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx

Then, the place where I purchased my offy manifold and my air filters, that fit the B&B carbs: Car Products, P.O. Box 96, Paragonah, Utah 84760, 435-477-8213. At the time a couple years ago the chrome filters were only $9.50 each. Wherever you get them, you want the ones that fit a 2-5/16" neck. The larger ones, for a 2-5/8" might come with the adaptor ring but just don't fit as well.

Car products also sells "gauze elements" for these, at $9.00 each. Not sure what that is though.

Lastly, the K&N numbers for filters that reportedly fit the small chrome air filters: #E3120. This is 3-7/8" OD, 2-7/8" ID and 2" high. This is from Jim Wilson on the old forum, about a year ago.

BTW, the Offy dual carb manifold, with linkage kit and fuel line kit included, was $233.95 plus shipping, when I purchased from the guy in Utah back in Sept 2005. Part number is 2374.

I have been considering buying a pair of K&N filters for a couple of years now. So this morning I went to there web site and priced a pair of there part number RC-3710 which I believe would be the best fit for Carter B&B carburetors. I went all the way to the confirm order page and remorsefully closed the page and cancelled the order. I could not see paying over ninety bucks (cost of two filters with tax and shipping) for the privilege of using the K&N name. I then went to the Speedway Motors web page and did some searching. I found washable filters part number 91011014 (these should last a lifetime) that will fit into my existing setup at less than half the cost of the K&N filters. I should have them by late next week...

stkd2.jpg

I might as well add my two bits to all the varied and ingenious methods to attach air cleaners. I did something that most will probaly shudder when they read this. I bought some small louvered air cleaners with 2 5/8 neck. I ground the tapered flange on each carb to match the 2 5/8 diameter. Works great

Good tip Don. Let us know how they work out. Are the dimensions the same as the little paper elements? K&N is a good product but you're right, they're very costly.

Bob, I thought of doing the same thing to that carb flange. If I hadn't found the 2 5/16 units I probably would have done it. Here's another mod that might make folks cringe. When I removed my chokes I needed to plug the choke rod holes so air wouldn't suck in below the filters. I bought some copper rivets to plug the holes. It's not as bad as it seems, it's all reversible and I kept all the original choke parts for future carbs. I held the rivets in with a tiny dab of 5 minute epoxy.

If anyone needs rivets, I'll share. I bought a whole box, several lifetimes worth.

post-64-13585345109289_thumb.jpg