Cool little surprise

Greenbomb

I'm in the process of reupholstering my '50 P-20 club coupe. We dismantled the seats and found the original build sheet rolled up in one of the springs of the driver's seat-back. Dated 12-15 at the Dodge-San Leandro Plant. It's a SP DX CL CPE, trim 949, 3.9 gear ratio, body by Briggs, Accessory group 1, and deluxe heater. "Special Instructions" has a type written "FCR" and a hand written "731". It was shipped via truck to a dealer named "Buxton" in Portland, OR.

It has boxes to check for individual accessories, several of which are on the car, but unchecked on the sheet. Maybe they were included in accessory group 1.

Anyway, it was kinda cool to find that. Now I know a little bit more of the history of the car. Anyone know what the "Special Instruction" notes mean?

The San Leandro plant has an interesting history. I'm not sure when Dodge stopped building cars there, but I do know that International Harvester built 20-30 class 8 trucks there daily in the 60's and 70's; I worked there until IH closed it. It sat dormant for a while, then Caterpillar bought it and converted it into a fuel injection pump manufacturing facility. They ran it for a few years, then closed it down again. Fast forward a lot of years, and it was converted into a shopping mall. The original two story main building is still there, housing a Home Depot store at the front and a lot of smaller businesses at the back. You can drive around it, and I can still find the outdoor dyno cell that we used to run all of the trucks on before they shipped out.

Marty

Interesting, Marty. Didn't they manufacture military vehicles during WWII also? They did make Plymouths there, didn't they? I decoded my VIN a long time ago and I believe it said the car was made at San Leandro.

It was always referred to as the Dodge Plant when I was growing up, I don't know if they made Plymouth's. It did get converted to military vehicles during WWII, then reverted back to Dodge afterwards.

Maybe I'll take some time off work to go visit the local historical society to learn more about it.

Marty

Reading these post about finding build sheets makes me want to go out and rip out my headliner and seats to see if I can find such cool information. Only things I have found are tire and battery receipts from 1970. Thought about attempting to contact the owners who name is on them.

I had always heard the build sheets were placed in the springs of the

back of the rear seat. I guess the above information shoots that

story. I've found lots of stuff and junk in my various old cars, but

never a build sheet. I keep thinking i'll spend my money with the

Chrysler Historical people, but have not done so yet. Have no idea

where my car was sold new, but it wound up in Springfield, MO - where

I found it. Was built in Detroit, I think.