1948 Plymouth Woodie, Need Info on Spare Tire Mounting

surfertoad

The tire is mounted on driver side on my 48, from what I can see which was blocked with wood. The the mount may be the same though. There is no hardware on mine so I need the see how the tire sets in the seat. Do you have any pics of how the tire mounts to the seat frame?

Thanks again

Ron

The tire is mounted on driver side on my 48, from what I can see which was blocked with wood. The the mount may be the same though. There is no hardware on mine so I need the see how the tire sets in the seat. Do you have any pics of how the tire mounts to the seat frame?

Thanks again

Ron

Ron,

If it will help you, I will try and take some pictures of the spare tire set-up on my '41. I think you are right. The hardware is the same just in different locations.

Jim Yergin

Jim

Thanks a LOT, looks like I can reproduce most all of the sheet metal (but have to find the center screw mount pieces), But I now have an idea what to look for. I take it that the piece the tire sets onto is screwed onto wood that is behind the back sheet metal? Thanks to Jim and rest for giving me some info, and if anyone else has more to show from a 48....would be great as well.....

Thx again Jim..

Ron

Ron that middle piece looks exactly like the reg pass version used in early p15s and probably the rest of the 41s too. Here is one I sold that I removed from a p15. It'd be a few months but I bet I could find one of these in the junkyard near here or the later p15 version which works the same but is 1 piece instead of 2.

DSC01093.jpg

And the special washer that goes with it.

DSC01122.jpg

Jim

Thanks a LOT, looks like I can reproduce most all of the sheet metal (but have to find the center screw mount pieces).

Ron

Ron,

If you wanted them, I could send you the dimensions of that center mount piece. It has some fairly simple bends and if you could find someone to bend it for you I think you could replicate one. Just let me know.

Jim Yergin

It'll be a couple months before I start junkyarding again but I'm sure I can find one. The 2 I had I sold already to others on the site. Since they appear to be the same as reg sedans and coupes its a pretty easy find.

Ron,

Sorry I don't know of a source for the center mount.

Thanks for the compliment about my car. If you belong to the National Woodie Club, there is an article in the January Woodie Times that I wrote about my 20 year restoration. If you don't get the Woodie Times and want to read the article, if you PM me an email address, I can send you a copy.

Jim Yergin

The centre hold down piece for my spare tire in my D25 is the same as the two piece one shown by Jim Yergin. I do have a variation on that if you are interested. The slot would be for any variation in tire size so you could still line the bolt up. I have included a couple of pictures of it and it does fit the five bolt holes of the rims our cars use as I just tried it. It came out of a 1948 D25 so is likely just a variation. If interested PM me.

DSCN5707.jpg

DSCN5710.jpg

Thanks, Ed. You are probably right as the one in my own Dodge D25 came out of a late '46 or early '47 Chrysler and as mentioned is the two piece. The slotted one I pictured came out of a '48. Maybe I should keep if for my own '48 and sell the other one.

A difference between the two I have is the one that is two piece is a wider diameter and the prongs do not fit in the lug holes but on the rim itself and the prongs are a bit longer to do this. The one piece slotted one fits right into the lug holes. It was likely cheaper to produce and that is the reason for the change.

Edited by RobertKB