Rear Brakes

DollyDodge

I am getting reading to rebuild the rear brakes on my B-2-C. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we had replaced the original rear end in 1979, including brakes etc, with a 1960s 1/2 ton pickup rear end when the origianl rear end wore out. It looks to me like the brakes are the same as shown in the B-2 manual I have. My question is this, how do I take the cylinders off? The manual doesn't really give a godd description. I also am concerned about doing the adjustment after the brake cylinders are rebuilt. I found one thread on how to do a major adjustment without the brake adjustment tool (basically making minor adjustments, putting the drum back on, test, then take it off, then readjust, over and over). Is that the only way to do the adjustment without the tool?

To remove the cylinders there should be two bolts on the back of each cylinder (behind the backing plate), as well as disconnecting the brakeline. You may want to soak those in your favorite penetrant for a couple of days before you put a wrench on them. I'm sure someone will jump in with the brake adjustment procedure w/o the tool. Mike

On the eccentric anchors there are horseshoe clips or c clips. Insert a thind flatbalded screwdriver in between the pin and the clip. Use a hammer to nock the clip off the anchor. The clip is soft metal and is a spring clip.

If youhave removed all of the other mounting hardware for the brakes then the shoe willslide off the pin.

The pin is held onto the backing plated with a castle nut and a cotter pin on the back of the backing plate. Loosen the nut and remove the cotter pin.

Since the pin might have a lip on it to hold the cylinder in place you might have to drive out the pin from the back and then the cyklinder should come off the pin take note of how the assembly was put together.

Install the new cylinder put the pin back into the backing plate put castle nut back on. The put on shoes and other hardware sung up the castle nut put the drum back on bleed the brakes then perform the adjustments. reinstallthe cotter pin lock the castle nut down. Then perform minor brake adjustment.

The Ammco brake gage tool maes the adjustment very easy. Go to the technical archives and lookup the Ammco brake tool adjustment slides.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

They are horseshoe clips. They are a pain. You need to unbend them. Two screwdrivers needle noise pliers or C clip pliers all kinda work

Well I guess I should let you all know there is an easier way to quickly knock those pesky little horse shoe "C" clips off in one quick swoop.....Get the miller tool or snap on tool .....or

Get a 13/16" open end wrench, and a hammer-one wack they are off! No damage either.

Bob

• Like 1

[Q

OTE=Young Ed;174438]Got a picture of the proper tool? Never knew one existed.

Here is a picture on how to use the 13/16" open end wrench- it's quite simple. Put the open end 13/16" wrench against the open ends of the horse shoe clip and smack the other end of the wrench and the clip is off.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I got both axles out over the weekend and cleaned the brake cylinders and ordered kits for them. I also ordered seals. I had trouble with the Car Quest dealer (the owner of the store) he said the outer seal wasn't available and he measured what I had and then ordered on that is about 1/8 inch deeper. I went on line and looked up the part numbers for those seals that I have seen posted on this forum and both are available through NAPA online. After taking the drums off and getting the rear axles out, I think what we did way back in 1975 or so is we took the brake backings with the brake cylinders and put them on the 1960s version rear axle housing. Anyway, the project is progressing

• 10 years later...

Here is a picture from the miller tool catalog of the two c clips removal tools: refer to the pictures i have all three tool to remove the spring clip I made the copy of the flat wrench and then bent it on an angle very simple to make or use a small flat bladed screwdriver  and insert it at the top of the arc of the ckip and use a small hammer to move it up and the clips come right off the eccentric pin.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.68def079992e87690b0263c1e9810300.pngimage.png.d3775d71bc2136e54644cf63c5d7c8ff.pngimage.png.9249dfb3304513596eb30724a973db29.png

• Like 1