5 Speed, Not T5

Robert Horne

First to clear a few things up. I was one of the first on this website to install a non MoPar five speed manual over drive T-5 transmission and reported such so on this website. Prior to my install I did my research and was well aware of the ratios. The first T-5 I selected was a 1352-107. This transmission was from a diesel S-10 pickup. What I discovered was the input shaft from this transmission was shorter that the input shaft from a gas powered S-10. So I rejected the diesel T-5 and found and installed a 1352-145. Both of these transmissions have identical ratios as follows. I find these ratios to be a good fit for the torque and horsepower curves of my Flathead 6 engine and I have installed a 3.55/1 differential in my car.

R-3.76/1, 1st 3.78/1, 2nd 2.18/1, 3rd 1.42/1, 4th 1.0/1, OD .72/1

I have driven my car with this transmission installed over 40,000 trouble free miles and I am very happy with it. Others such as Robert Horne have install other non MoPar 5 speed manual transmissions with great success and I applaud there innovative efforts. I have not read any reports of anyone on this forum installing a semi modern MoPar five speed floor shifted transmission behind a Flathead 6 and hopefully if someone has done so they will come forward and post there results of the install and drive ability.

I have read reports on this website of someone who installed a diesel T-5 with a very low 5th gear ratio. This person indicated that that recommendation to install the diesel transmission came from a forum member on this website. I do not recall anyone on this website ever making such a recommendation. The person who made this report is a forum member with zero postings but he did post his e-mail address. I have made attempts to contact this person via e-mail but I did not get a response. I must assume this person did not do his homework prior to doing the install and that is his responsibility and cannot be blamed on anyone else.

I have also read reports on this website that some folks who have installed a T-5 have regrets and are not happy. Problem is the reports are not directly from the folks who have installed the T-5. I would like to hear from them and why they are not happy. Comments from someone else have little meaning.

At the time I did my install there were no “kits” available. I did my own measuring and modifying with the mind set that failure was not an option. Pictures of what I did have been posted on this forum many times. I will gladly share what I did with anyone at no charge. I am not trying to sell my ideas but at the same time I do not want someone else selling my ideas.

Installing any non stock transmission is not for the faint of heart. One must have a good understanding of what the requirements are and a good mechanical skill set. The kits available today are helpful but none are an easy bolt in with no modifications required.

Yes Don,  I got your email -

Mar 11 at 5:15 PM

"Donald Coatney I hear you have had some problems with your T-5 install. I would like to discuss these issues with you."

I thought it an odd message given I do not know you nor have I reached out to you asking for advise.  Now that I have read your post from this afternoon it is clear you have decided to follow-up on a conversation between myself and another member that took place about a month ago. Well I appreciate what I am sure is

a desire to help I'm good. Thx just the same.

Edited by Plymouth#43

Yes Don,  I got your email -

Mar 11 at 5:15 PM

"Donald Coatney I hear you have had some problems with your T-5 install. I would like to discuss these issues with you."

I thought it an odd message given I do not know you nor have I reached out to you asking for advise.  Now that I have read your post from this afternoon it is clear you have decided to follow-up on a conversation between myself and another member that took place about a month ago. Well I appreciate what I am sure is

a desire to help I'm good. Thx just he same.

Thank you for the response.

• 1 year later...

GEDC0295.jpg

I am using my stock 1938 bell housing. Added a 2 inch piece of angle iron for the bottom, to bolt on the lower 2 bolts of the 5 speed trans. The center hole needs to be milled out about 1/8 inch. I will let the machinist take care of that.

I don't see any follow up posts about how well it worked? I know it's 6 years later, but were you happy?

• 2 years later...

I am starting on my 56 engine/TK 5 speed/37 Coupe project.     I should start another thread, I guess.      I used the 56 for test fitting my last project.

The most tricky part was  boring the trans cover (yellow) to fit into one of my 36/37/38 bell housings, and finding a pilot bearing.

I got lucky and found I could press two pilot bearings together to fit the TK 5 speed to the 218....

278.JPG

249.JPG

248.JPG

Edited by Robert Horne
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/31/2012 at 5:07 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is not recommended to drill oilite..the action seals the natural porosity of the metal..oilite needs be cut on a lathe..

I second that comment and add that on is supposed to only use a lather with a carbide tip that is new to cut the "bearing side" of an oilite bearing.  The out side if it is pressed into a housing makes no difference what you use...

In high school a friend made his own clutch pilot out of oilite for a odd ball car, about six months later he had issues. He used a reamer to get the ID hole. I remember him cursing and the machine shop teacher shaking his head and telling us we NEED to understand what materials we are using and not assume that all machine methods are equal for all materials.

I remember him busting our chops about drill bit angles depending on what material you were using.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:01 AM, ntxcustoms said:

I'm just starting the process of adapting this trans to my 41 plymouth. Problem is my 3 speed input shaft is 9", so I don't think this bell will work. Any ideas? Find an earlier bell?

20190928_173622.jpg

168.JPG

It has been several years since my 5 speed install.    Looks like Photobucket has about gone.     I used 36,37, and 38 bell housing for fitting.

Cannot remember  what length of bell is needed.     Maybe that is why I use a longer than normal oil lite pilot bushing.    I pressed two together to get a good fit.    I worked with two different 5 speed transmissions, and both had a different  measurement for the pilot bushing, one a little too tight, but would work....

The 5 speed still working very good as of last week....     Working on brakes again on the Coupe....

Here is the original input shaft of the 38.      The pilot bearing seem to be 7 to 7 3/4 from the back of the bell, even though the shaft is about 9 inch.   So I tried to match the Ranger input pilot bearing the same with a longer length bearing...

172.JPG

277.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, derbydad276 said:

My 53 coronet has a weird bell housing... as I dont have a fluid coupling ... what bell should I look for  ?

can I use pickup truck or plymouth ?

The bell housings I have been working with are 36, 37, & 38,,,Plymouth, & Dodge cars.....

I'm using my 41 plymouth bell. Regular 3 on the tree trans. 

So we started on the machining today. We bored out the bell housing to register the bearing retainer plate. We also moved the two top studs down and drilled and tapped for a piece of angle iron for the lower bolts. These stepsare the same as shown in this thread previously. 

However that is where I'm moving in a different direction. Robert used the original dodge bearing retainer by bolting it to the ranger's retainer thereby using the dodges throw out bearing. The Rangers front plate (bearing retainer) is pretty thin walled and i don't want to risk having it crack after many miles. 

So after table inspection and mock up we are ditching the throw out bearing and using the Rangers hydraulic bearing. I'll post pictures of that as we wrap this up. 

20191020_120616.jpg

20191020_111814.jpg

20191020_093232.jpg

• Like 1