Interiors - Floor and Firewall

John-T-53

I did this project in November and December before taking the truck on another 600 mile trip...sure made a difference in reducing the noise inside the cab! Thought I would share a few pics with ya...

Previously, I had no floor insulation at all, and the original cardboard firewall pad was continually shedding itself all over the cab. I removed it in pieces along with the heater, e-brake handle, and starter pedal. The original green paint was in great shape and just needed a little cleaning. I got the new pad and floor insulation from Quiet Ride, where I think some others here have got it from. Man, was it tough getting that s.o.b. up in there! I had to cut several sections out to clear brackets and holes, and it took a lot of cuss words to get it to fit right. I had to remount the starter pedal to the inside of the firewall, on top of the pad because of clearance issues.

Other work performed:

- Taped up and plugged all unnecessary holes, and applied dynamat that came with the kit.

- Cleaned and painted the floor boards, including under the seat.

- Resealed around the gas tank filler tuber with the existing rubber (it was there, just had fallen down through the hole)

- Sealed the rear floor to cab wall seam. Looks like a felt type seal was here originally, but mostly disintegrated. I discovered a lot of dust and engine fumes were entering the cab at this point, making it a critical seal. Filled the joint solid with polyurethane caulk.

- Applied Dynamat to the floor, following it with the foil-backed insullation. All seams were taped.

- Rubber floor mat: I got it from Fleet Farm like a couple others here suggested. It wasn't that expesive, and it cut like butter! It just smells a little bit...but I like it.

Another note - I don't think the "Mopar 70" heater I have was made for this truck (see 1st picture). It doesn't fit too well under the dash, and the holes for the mounts and hoses were cut out roughly. Anybody know what this heater is supposed to go in? What does the truck heater look like?

post-3764-13585353023448_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585353023824_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585353024165_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585353024532_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585353025003_thumb.jpg

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 1