Paint for exhaust manifold - any tips?

Robin (UK)

I used the same cleaning method, plus wire brush, plus put the manifold in a vapor degreaser tank using 1.1.1 Tri Chlor overnight (about 24 hours). I then used the same paint as Don used. However, my exhaust manifold didn't even last as long as Don's did before the rust came through again. So.......the answer to your question would be. Clean them up as best you can and use the best coating your can, then cross your fingers and toes.:)

I use a brush on manifold paint from eastwood, I start with a clean manifold just wire brushed, This coating goes on then it cures for about 12-24 hours, then you run the motor to operating temp. It will smell for a while, that how you know it's working. If you coat your part well it will last 2 seasons no rust just will start to flake. You can always touch it up befre shows looks great and the judges love it.

Rodney,

That's really what happened to the paint I used, like Don's. The rust really didn't come through. The paint just started to peel/flake off the exhaust manifold. The intake is still ok after all these years. Brushing the paint on is easier because you don't have to remove the intake. However, if the eastwood paint also peels in two seasons, I don't think it's any better than what Don and I used.

In my book, it's all a crap shoot for painting the intake. I will say this though. When my son installed the new crate 350 engine in his 80 Firebird he used plain black engine enamel. He did not have new exhaust manifolds for the motor. He just cleaned up a pair of old ones and painted them. That was about 3 years ago and they still look as fresh as the day he painted them. Maybe it's just that the aluminum paint doesn't penetrate as well and that's what makes it peel.

Used it on the entire engine....as well as manifold. Applied with a brush. Never did have very good durability from a spray can paint. Has held up pretty well for 5 or 6 years. After using, you have to put something like a plastic bag or other film around edge of the can or the lid will never come off again. At least, that's what I was told. Have not needed to use it since the original application....so have not tried to remove lid.

post-10-1358534505338_thumb.jpg

Ditto on POR 15 super high temp. paint. POR also makes high temp engine paint. They aren't the same! The super high is for exhaust application. The small 8oz can goes a long way and will do a lot of manifolds. So far I have done three intake/exhaust sets and still have half a can left. This stuff will last for a very long time. The first one I did was six years ago and no sign of rust or discoloring. I bead blasted the parts, cleaned them with laquer thinner and brushed on several coats. Let it dry for at least 24 hrs. The final cure will come after the engine reaches temp. or you can bake the parts in an oven at 350 - 400 degrees.

If you try baking the manifold in the oven......first buy a package of chocolate chip cookies, put them out on a dish......stash somewhere....then when the little woman asks what you are doing, tell her you were just in the mood to bake some cookies. When the manifold is done, go hide it in the garage - warm the cookies just a bit in the microwave...then offer some cookies "fresh from the oven".

Think that would work????? :) :) :)