new guy- need help w/ pilothouse front brakes

41/53dodges

i was just wondering if there were any people out there who had experience with converting the pilothouse B-4 1/2 ton front brakes to something more modern. we were going to stay stock, but we found out that the drums are shot and new ones are $500 NOS each. we were looking for some more modern drum brakes that could be adapted to fit that DONT have an astronomical price tag. not sure whether to just swap the whole front axle with something, or find something that could replace the original brakes with the same spindles. almost thinking universal trailer brakes could be adapted? any help would be appreciated.

charlies kit will allow you to use the stock MC, and wil likely cost you less than trying to re assemble a "stock system" plus you get better brakes with easy to find replacement parts. You probably can update the drums by swapping backing plates from a later truck with drums, but why?

even at best you find a direct swap the direct lack of funds will limit you there more than not also...yard parts are going up it seems more and more as they struggle to keep the doors open..wtih the ever changing move to GREEN and the requirement placed on wrecking yards to fluids and gasses...staying alive to them has become a never ending battle. I have just this year seen the closing of what was one of the larger yards in the area..while the cars are there..they cannot afford to staff the place on a daily bases...seems one can get in by appointment only...that would make it a last ditch effort in finding a part.

so if your time is worth anything I cannot see how you can beat the update to disc as offered here on this site..time you drive to yard to yard scrounging, the gas money and loss of work hours on other section of the vehicle could easily make the kits affordable..

I would try to find good used stock drums-they won't be anywhere near $500.00! Stock brakes work good too- some one here might even have some good used stock drums. My trucks are all stock drums and work well.

Bob

If the 41-47 front drums are the same as the B series trucks I have a set of freshly turned drums with new bearings,seals and races. I sold the truck and don't need them now. They're for sale here before I put them on eBay if they'll work.

MVC-001F-13.jpg

well- to my surprise, the 10 inch brake drums from northern tool actually seem to fit perfectly with the rest of the stock brake parts and some new bearings. thanks for the help anyways:)

???

well- to my surprise, the 10 inch brake drums from northern tool actually seem to fit perfectly with the rest of the stock brake parts and some new bearings. thanks for the help anyways:)

Please explain, I'm sure everyone here with stock brakes would like to know if these drums will work.

yes, they fit up fine with the original plates, have the same lug pattern, same width, just need different bearings or sleeves to make the ones it comes with fit. they are jut a little narrower, so the wheels sit in about 1/2" on each side from stock. the seals are perfect size, also. i still do recommend doing the fine measurements. these drums are at northern for $100 a pair! here is the link to them.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200323378_200323378

i am going to try this for sure as soon as the sleeves come back from the shop, so it should be done monday or teusday to tell for sure

if anybody's interested, a 1996 jeep cherokee rear end will mount up nicely in the back with some new leaf spring saddles from northern. the u-joint is the EXACT same and no mods to the shaft are required.

NO MORE $500 BRAKE DRUMS!

Edited by 41/53dodges

As I recall, I got my brake shoes from Bernbaum and they are fine. He can be a bit difficult to work with if you have to talk to him, but otherwise it should be OK.

By the way... where are you located? In a post in another thread you indicated that you are in Wisconsin. Where abouts? I can't help you with your brake drum needs as all of my spares are for a 3/4 ton truck and they wouldn't work on your 1/2 tonner. But maybe I could help you in other ways if you're close enough.

Merle

A while back there was another guy from Pleasant Prairie who posted in the "For Sale" section that he had a couple of 1/2 ton trucks that he was selling parts for. I never saw another post from him, but he may still have some parts left. Here's a link to his post http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=8627 maybe you can contact him via email from his user name/profile.

Merle in Waukesha, about 65 miles NW of you.