Zerks

Rodney Bullock

Now if you guys want to have some fun pick up a volume of Uncle Johns Bathroom reader. 100s of pages of useless facts like this. Stories are devided into short medium and leg numbing length.

I get one every year for Christmas from one of my daughters that has the same slant on what is interesting trivia that I do. If you read straight through from front to back, or back to front, the spent pages make good emergency equipment also. :rolleyes:

I believe the name zerk is common to any and all of these "inlets" to apply pressuried grease to a cavity as it was the original named device..it is all that I have ever heard them called....I like the older equipment that has the glass and brass oil filled "oilers"

I like them also. We go to tractor and steam engine shows quite a bit, and the oilers on some of the engines are more interesting than the machine itself.

I leave the computer for just a minute:o

Ed I do get the guy to grease most of the spots at jiffy lube while they change he oil however the manager likes me but I take up to much time. Whlie they are there to make money When I come inall work stops.:)Getting to those hard to reach zerks I leave to myself.

Any how I went down staire to look see if I still had some of the grease guns I used the other day and last year. Can you reconize the real old type?

I included some tools that my Grand dad had. That one old style Craftman was used to take a motor apart. I have treasured that one for many years.

post-55-13585352869_thumb.jpg

post-55-13585352869833_thumb.jpg

post-55-1358535287076_thumb.jpg

...about some French committee formed to preserve the French language. They were making fun of how those stupid Americans called them "Air Bags" when in fact they contained a "Gas". Of course, none of them were culturally aware enough to realize that we call them "Air Bags" because "Gas Bag" has a whole other connotation in the US that would be a just bit offensive to most folks :D

This is another reason I like this forum.....you LEARN something, I had always wondered why you yanks call these fittings a "zerk".......here in Oz I have only ever heard them called "grease nipples".............I had read in a few US hot rod magazines the term "zerk" used but always thought it must have been a brand name........so, it refers to the type of grease fitting?.......interesting.........thanks, andyd

LOL................and now i've wet meself again...........lol............thanks..........lol........andyd

I leave the computer for just a minute:o

That one old style Craftman was used to take a motor apart. I have treasured that one for many years.

Thats called a speed wrench back in the day. Use it by spin bolts off or on fast instead of using both hands. Hold the knob with your right hands thumb and fore finger and spin.

I like them also. We go to tractor and steam engine shows quite a bit, and the oilers on some of the engines are more interesting than the machine itself.

This engine is at a tractor club and is used to drive the belt for the elevator which is situated close by. They run it every year. The oiler on it is quite plain but some of them are so ornate they are almost a work of art.

IMG_0590.jpg

That is a very intersting machine, thanks for posting.:) Many years ago my Granddad told me a story about an inventor. He said that in the "industial age" when machines were in there infancy. The factory would shut down for a while so the men could oil all the machines. This Guy's named Mccoy he was an inventor and he created a "dipper" system" they used it on eveything. For some reason folks would take his idea and make it there own and try to sell it to companies. The companies would insist on "The real Mccoy" I guess that's where that phraze came from. He was very proud of this man. All those grease guns and oil cans are his and I clean and use them all the time. There is a tub of grease that is older then I am in one of the sheds. We use to dip some for our bike chains.

One one lesson he would alway stress was to make sure that there was oil in all the machines we operated and that they were up to level. This determined if you used anything that was his, I was always checking and he saw that. He intrusted me with everything mechanical even his prized machine. the truck. You know it's funny:eek: I blew up the mini bike my uncle and I had because I ran it with no oil in it.:cool: When they told on me, no one believed it shortly after we got the 1966 Dodge charger for school transportation. My uncle drove that and ai was the rider. Yeah it threw a rod:eek: He did that! 2 weeks later we had a 440 :rolleyes: umm good speedin.

post-55-13585352900893_thumb.jpg

post-55-13585352901543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rodney Bullock