head bolts

michael.warshaw

After trying to get a harmonic balancer last spring, the best thing that I can recommend is having your original one rebuilt. It isn't like you have a big trip planned in a month. I will add my voice to the chorus that recommends that you have your old one sent off to the Damper Doc to have it rebuilt. A NOS harmonic balancer is being held together with old rubber and old adhesive, and will be no better than what is already on your engine.

http://www.damperdoctor.com/

pictured are grade 8 bolt available from just about every hardware store, center stock bolt, right common head bolt for Chevy 350.

The Chevy bolts come in two lenghts, this is the shorter one. The should be available for about less than $1.00 from any source your machanic or machine shop deals with.

these happen to be Pioneer parts, but being that they are for chevy I am sure there are many sources.

dsc00010ai.jpg

I have never seen washers used except on an engine in a '47 Chrylser limousine used as an ambulance and likely done by a mechanic working on the engine at some point. Using a flat washer, not a lock washer, prevents any scraping of the cylinder head when installing the headbolt. It's not a bad idea but never done that way from the factory.

Mike:

i just checked my Mopar Parts book and the Vibration dampener with pully

Part Number 869431 fits the following cars and years:

Ply 1942-50

Dodge 37-50

Desoto 38-42 without fluid drive

Chrylser 1941-50 with Fluid Drive

Someone should have this part since it covers such a large year span. Or as someone else suggested contact Damper dan yo get your remolded.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

my engine is at a a engine builder who seems very good and has done some flatty work before. i got the washer notion, from steve at vpw. i am going to buy the head bolts from vpw. i also contacted damper repair place which i got from a previous post he asked for 100 dollars to repair mine, or send me a unit that was already done. ill keep you guys posted as to what happens. i am not dooing my own so why does that matter, i think around 65 -70 should work, as far as torque.

vpw steve said that my head mightbe a wter jacket or not, is there away to know or are all th mopar heads different?

Edited by michael.warshaw

A pop quiz. Gosh, I hate pop quizzes.

Michael;

I now have a question for you Michael. What is the correct procedure for torquing the head on your engine. I ask other forum participants to not answer this question for you. This is your big chance to show us you actually know how to use the search function on this forum.

Michael;

I now have a question for you Michael. What is the correct procedure for torquing the head on your engine. I ask other forum participants to not answer this question for you. This is your big chance to show us you actually know how to use the search function on this forum.

Everyone knows its one at a time! DUH