Three Speed Linkage (46-48)

James_Douglas

Don,

I hope to heck I don't need the actual shift handle and shaft!!

But, If you send out everything else, I will have it on hand when the time comes in case I need anything to do the trans swap in a hurry.

When done, I will send the unused stuff back with an appropriate addition or two.

Thanks, James

Don,

I have the 251 Chrysler engine here in my yard, that one is in my 47 chrys parts car. I will go have a look under the hood tomorrow, see if I can get her out easy, it's darn cold here these days. This one should be okay, but needs the usual, points rotor cap etc. Let you know tomorrow.........Fred ps any chance you might have a speedo cable for my Chrys to trade or a set of headlight rings

I normally run mine up to 45 in second when entering the expressway before shifting into third and I have a stock P-15 three speed transmission. Where I live you have to use the interstate frontage road to get to most of the shopping areas here in town and the traffic on them runs 55 mph and they do not slow down for you to merge. I have not incountered any problems running up to 45 in second in twenty years of use.

I run my flathead Plymouth up to about 50 in first gear...of course I only have a two speed automatic and a 3:54 rear gear that is why I will leave this car stock. Still amazes me as to how smooth this thing runs. Back in the day you people would cringe at how the very car you are driving was rev'd and driven. These cars took some heavy abuse and are still ticking away.

Tim , In my 48 Chrys I have a 3 spd trans and dry clutch, as well my diff is a 4.11 or 4.30. Not sure how this car came by these low gears, I do know the engine and trans is from a 1951 Canadian Doge, which is the big block 6, the diff I am not sure where it comes from. When I have marked the drive shaft and wheel I get either somewhere between 410 and 430 when counting revolutions. Again is this the right way to do this. How fast will it be to safely drive this thing as is, at 40 to 45 its hummin along pretty good, at 55 it will be sounding busy, I do have a 3.54 or a 3.90 in the yard here, it's in a 47 Chrys Windsor with the M5 trans, don't think I would ever go back to fluid drive and M5 though........Fred

• 2 weeks later...
Guest walrus947

I need some help with my 1953 dodge B4 1/2 ton truck , I need some replacement gromments or bushings that connect the column shift linkage to the transmission selector shaft. Mine have deteriated over time to the point the the low -reverse shift is almost impossible and difficult at best. It is spookey setting at a traffic light trying to find low gear , I have had to do more second gear starts than I care to mention. If one of the members has a couple of spares or knows where i can get them , it would be a blessing , Thanks ,,,Walrus aka Sam shuey@hot.rr.com