OT. floater pen

T120

I bought this mechanical pencil locally in one of the second hand junque stores (it was cheap).Still in fine working condition and I have it in the glove box of my old Dodge. - No ink to dry out.It's from a Dodge dealer in Los Angeles - probably long gone.The inscription reads: Dodge.. James Motor Company 7833 So. Vermont Ave. Los Angeles . Calif. The blue floater car appears to be a Dodge sedan from the 40's.I don't imagine anyone on the forum would recall this dealer...

post-423-13585352825768_thumb.jpg

Ralph, those pens are pretty cool, alright.

I have one from Phillips 66 Petroleum Co with some oil in the top and a floating ball.

Another I can't find right now with some sort of car....think it's an Oldsmobile dealer

item perhaps.

..Hi Norm,My only experience in Los Angeles has been passing through on a number of occasions, mostly just a change of planes at LAX and haven't been through there since I retired.Interesting though some of the older areas and the history.I remember years ago a buddy of mine came across a brand new Rockne grille for a car he owned at the time from a former Studebaker dealership (not in Los Angeles).It was in the "attic" and when he bought it, was of no value to them - it probably cost him not much more than a package of smokes would cost today.

..Hi Bob,I've seen photos,you've posted of the "Automobilia" stuff you have and it's interesting and if I happened across an item at the right price (cheap),I'd be tempted to buy.You may have gathered I emphasize the word "cheap" (now retired and watching expenses)- aren't we all.Anyhow, it's all part of the hobby and we do it because it makes us happy.;)

Hi Don,I don't know the proper name,it's a term I've heard them referred to as "floater". In this case it's actually a "floater" mechanical pencil. -As you tip the pencil up or down the car inside moves accordingly in the liquid.It's an advertising item.As a matter of fact Don,if it wasn't a Dodge dealership and said Plymouth instead it could be a blue P15 sedan inside the pen.Also,to answer your question -no,the pen itself is not buoyant..:) Ralph

...Interesting the changes taking place.I was asked to remove my Rigid Tools calendar in the work place before I retired.Pretty tame by today's standards I thought.:rolleyes:

....Hmmmm..I wonder if there's any relationship between that and the fact that you folks in Louisiana are rated happiest in the USA? :)

...and love it! My students get a kick out of it too. I actually have a small collection of these from various sources. All have an automotive theme. Some have spark plugs in them and others just have auto shop or dealer advertising on them.

I bought this mechanical pencil locally in one of the second hand junque stores (it was cheap).Still in fine working condition and I have it in the glove box of my old Dodge. - No ink to dry out.It's from a Dodge dealer in Los Angeles - probably long gone.The inscription reads: Dodge.. James Motor Company 7833 So. Vermont Ave. Los Angeles . Calif. The blue floater car appears to be a Dodge sedan from the 40's.I don't imagine anyone on the forum would recall this dealer...

[ATTACH]15112[/ATTACH]

..Hi David,Quite a coincidence.Amazing the places some of this stuff turns up.As I mentioned,I bought this pencil locally here in Lethbridge,Alberta.I have no idea of the area in Los Angeles where the dealer was located,although Norm, (Normspeed) knows the area.I gather the Dodge dealer disappeared many years ago.This is actually the only pencil of this type that I have,but if I came across another with auto advertising,It would certainly grab my attention...and, if the price was right I might also start a "collection". :)

..I'm sure the lady in the first photo helped to sell a lot of potato chips :)

..., most of which are from Chrysler, Dodge, Desoto and Plymouth dealerships and a key FOB from Joe's Garage in Hollywood. Also, a pic of a really cool cigarette lighter from a Desoto - Plymouth dealership "Sandra Motors Inc, Sam Shatten Pres."

If anyone recognizes a dealership, please let me know. For the pencils, they are, top to bottom: 1. Quality Engineering & Tool Co. 55 Ebert's Lane, York, PA 2. Auto Glass Service Fresno, CA 3. Gold Auto-Lite sparkplug pencil location unknown. 4. Gold fountain pen just marked "DODGE" 5. G.H. Eshbach Chrysler-Plymouth location unknown 6. Brown, clear, yellow Auto-Lite sparkplug pencil location unknown 7. Roy E. Williams Chrysler-Plymouth, Carlisle, PA

40s-promo-pens.jpg

Desoto-Plym-lighter-web.jpg

[ATTACH]15112[/ATTACH]