Brighter Dash Lights

Don St Peter

I found the following post on Tech tips section of this forum

"Brighter Dash Lights

Tommy Carroll, President of the Carolina Region, Plymouth Owners Club submitted a great tip to improve dash visibility and safety at night. He uses #81 bulbs instead of the standard #55 miniature bulb. The #55 has a brightness around 3 candle power compared to the #81 with 6 candle power. The #81 bulb really lights up the gauges and speedometer and heat generation seem about the same."

In trying to buy the #81 bulb the car quest books show the #81 with a larger base than the #51. Does anyone know about it? Since I'm seeking brighter dash lights for my 40 Ply. P-9 I also considered the halegon bulbs advertized by some . Anyone tried them?

Thanks in Advance

Don

See: http://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/lightbulbs

The #55 has a "miniature bayonet" base with a G-4 1/2 globe on it.

The #81 is a bayonet base with a G-6 globe on it. So the #81 will not fit where you had a #55. The #81 is a drop in replacement for a #63 giving 6 CP compared to the #63's 3 CP. So the #81 would make my dash and parking lights brighter but won't help you. :)

I'll try to get some time to look through my old GE miniature lamp catalog (or the newer Philips equivalent) to see what, if any, lamp number would have the same physical dimensions as the #55 but give out more light. When if I find one I'll post it here and update the table on my web site at the above link.

Thanks for the info guys. Tod, I will be anxiously awaiting any info you may come up with!! Do you have an opinion on the Halagon bulbs some are toutimg?

Thanks again

Don

Unfortunately I came up empty. There are some other bulbs of that size with a miniature bayonet base but they are all equally low or lower candlepower. Seems like that size was mostly used for instrument lighting and I guess everyone liked their instruments dark.

Quartz-halogen lamps do run hotter than traditional bulbs and I would be cautious about using them in any location where heat could be a problem.

halogen is not a recommended fix..heat, byprodcut of wattage (current drain) will be a two fold problem..dmage from heat..overload fo the internal breaker for the lamp circuits...you'd do better with bright white LEDs..heat is also a by product here..proper illumination of the LED based on the supply voltage and proper dropping resisitor can net a good balance..

I went through my old parts and found the box for the #81 bulbs I used in my P-15 dash. The end of the box says Westinghouse 6v no.81 6 c.p.. These bulbs have a 1/2 inch base with 2 pins and replace the #55 bulb. I bought these at a swap meet for $1.50 each and they really lit the dash well. JohnS

I went through my old parts and found the box for the #81 bulbs I used in my P-15 dash. The end of the box says Westinghouse 6v no.81 6 c.p.. These bulbs have a 1/2 inch base with 2 pins and replace the #55 bulb. I bought these at a swap meet for $1.50 each and they really lit the dash well. JohnS

Hmm. A #81 is a "G-6" bulb that is 1 7/16" tall and has a "bayonet base" while #55 is a G 4 1/2 bulb that is 1 1/16" tall and has a "miniature bayonet base". Seems unlikely that you could fit a #81 into a place designed for a #55.

if you serious about bright white bulbs..follow this link..scroll down to the next to last prodcut on that page...

Ba9s 6 Volt Replaces #1906, 1850, 1847, 47, 755, 1866, 44, 239, 1810, 1888, 51

http://classicautobulbs.com/6volt.html

do ask if these are negative or positve ground..as they are LED..this would be critical..did not say but I would assume negative..their products for 6 volt substitution above this lamp are non-polar..but this particular bulb was not specified that I can find..

another site..again..cannot find a polarity chart for these...

http://www.cnyqled.com/3LED_Indicator_2.htm

Edited by Tim Adams

• 1 year later...