Valve Adjustment Not going as planned

Powerhouse

Hello all,

I am doing a valve adjustment on my spare 47 engine. Everything is going fine except for #2 Intake and #5 intake both seem to be improperly adjusted. With #6 in firing position... #2 intake gap closed all the way instead of .009 cold gap. With #1 in firing position... #5 intake gap is closed all the way instead of .009 cold gap. I open them up to .009 cold gap when on opposite stage(A or B as instructed in valve gapping operations, A = #1 in firing pos at TDC, B = #6 in firing at TDC). They just get way too tight(closed up) when I check the other stage again...A or B.

WHAT in the world is going on? ANY IDEAS????

Thanks.

Edited by Powerhouse

I never could get them all correct using that procedure either. Finally I bit the bullet and adjusted mine warm with the motor running. Nasty job, especially with the split exhaust manifold. I cut the toe out of a thick wool sock and put the sock on my arm for burn protection.

I always adjust the valves for the cylinder the rotor is pointing to, with the points just starting to open to fire that cylinder. I start at #1 then 5,3,6,2,and finally#4. Simple.

Bob

Thanks guys....I checked the lifters for indentations...there all smooth.

I'll have to figure out that procedure Dodgeb4ya does.

Adjust for cylinder the rotor is pointing to, with the points just starting to open to fire that cylinder. Start at #1 then 5,3,6,2,and finally#4.

Sounds simple...thanks.

Powerhouse,

I came up with the same exact results that you did while using that method.

With #2 and #5 intake being tight during A or B. But those 2 valves do come up twice during A and B so I just went with the adjustment when the tappet was off the ramp.

I thought it was because I'm running a reground cam, but now it must be because the A/B instructions are flawed (with #2 and #5 intake adjustment coming up twice when they should not).

• 4 weeks later...

Rollie is right those A/B positions are flawed.

Just adjust them as they come up.

Here's another nice little secret just keep the engine warm by running it when needed back up to full temp. Then turn it off and adjust Hot again.

Running it with the Valve covers off will not throw oil everywhere at short intervals and you don't have to be an acrobat trying to adjust them while the engine is running. Do wear leather gloves with long wrists and cut the fingers out to manipulate the feelers and wrenches. You won't burn yourself and be happy you sacraficed a pair of gloves for the job - besides save the gloves for next time.

Tom Skinner

Huntersville, NC