In for some body work today OT

greg g

Back in May I had a large mole removed from my upper back. It was tested and was positive for melenoma.

After a couple fits and starts I went in today for an excision and lymph node removal. Both areas tested negative today for any nasty stuff. In at 6:30, home by 2:15. Gotta spend a couple days on the down low so as not to pop any stitches.

The plastic surgeon thought he might need to do a skin graft but managed to do the procedure with out needing to go that route.

Should be good to go no need for chemo or radiation, just regular visits to keep on top of things.

Don, do what you have to do. I probably wouldn't have caught this if I hadn't have caught it. I was mowing the lawn and ran up under a tree, I got a branch of the tree jammed between my back and shirt. I didn't think much of it and continued to mow the yard, then did some other thing before going back in the house. When I got in my wife asked what was all over the back of my shirt. Told he I didn't know. When we looked we discovered it was blood. I bleed more than normal because of the Plavix, aspirin, and other cardiac meds I take, so there was quite a bit from a smal source. The branch went into the mole, and I guess moles have a tendancy to bleed a lot also.

Any way I had it check out couple days later, the doctor decided he didn't like the looks of it so he took it off and sent of for biopsy. The rest is as they say history.

The procedure was originally scheduled for October but during the work up, a stress test (to gauge my ability to deal with the stress of the operation and anestesia ) showed a problem. So I had to go in for another stent for a blocked artery (lotta good my cardiac meds seem to be doing). then I had to be on plavix for 4 weeks to deal with the new stent, then off it for 10 days before they would do the operation.

Guess I should stop mowing the lawn....

Glad to hear they caught it. So are you planning on picking up any new hobbies with the down time? Is that painting guy with the big fro still on PBS? Get yourself some water colors and paint by numbers! =) Otherwise perhaps a warm blanket and catch up on all the holiday classic movies (just try not to bust any stitches laughing if you watch Nat'l Lampoon's Xmas Vacation!). =)

Greg;

I have had this growth to the right of my right eye for a long time. I used to pick at it but it did no good so I quit doing that a while back. I elected to have it checked out. Like you, blood thinners are part of my diet but this thing to the right of my right eye was not a bleeder. The skin doctor poked a needle in the skin next to my eye and (while I closed my eye) shaved off the growth. He also removed a pick point from the top of my head. This pick point was something that felt like a scab but never disappeared after I picked it. The doctor used liquid nitrogen to freeze it off. When he did this it felt the same way as when you drink a frozen Margaretta too fast. So next time this happens I will simply pour the frozen Margaretta on top of my head.

I paid a visit to my doctor the last time I was home. Not my favorite thing to do. He ultrasounded me in several areas, gave me a breathing test, blood tests, x-rays, and told me I was good to go except for the skin thing and an as of yet scheduled verdigo appointment. What way is up?

...Look after yourselves,guys - wouldn't want to lose any contributors to this forum :)

...snip... He also removed a pick point from the top of my head. This pick point was something that felt like a scab but never disappeared after I picked it. The doctor used liquid nitrogen to freeze it off. When he did this it felt the same way as when you drink a frozen Margaretta too fast. So next time this happens I will simply pour the frozen Margaretta on top of my head. ...snip...

All the times I've had spots frozen off they did it in two applications: Freeze it with liquid nitrogen. Wait a minute for it to thaw, then freeze it again.

Based on my emergency training for dealing with frost bite I believe that the second freeze cycle is critical as that's the one where ice crystals puncture the cell walls killing them. I doubt that pouring a frozen Margaretta over the are twice would do the trick on the freeze, thaw, freeze cycle you need. Better just drink the Margaretta to deal with the discomfort after the medical types use the liquid nitrogen on you.

Well.......I guess all this with Don and Greg is sort of in line with a few other guy's posting about their medical problems. And, as much as we may not want to admit it, we're just getting older and more than likely these things will pop up, due to aging.

Important thing is to keep good tabs on yourself. Even then, you just never know what's going to happen. Last April my older brother had what he thought was just a common cold and a little scratchy throat. He was under a doctors care for other things, but didn't call the doctor right away. He just took some over the counter stuff. Felt better within a week and went back to work. By mothers day he was in the hospital and the doctor had to put him in an induced coma. They kept him in the coma until about mid June. He passed away July 15. He was only 67.

I've never been one to see a doctor on a regular basis. But.....after the holidays I think I should start going in at least for an annual check up. I already do that for my arthritis at the RH clinic, but that's just for the RH.

I have a FULL medical every year right around my birthday. So far everything is good and I have no aches and pains. Long may it continue. Norm's advice about getting checked regularly is really good. It can catch a lot of problems earlier than they normally might be. If you have good health coverage, I would think it would cover yearly medicals. Fortunately, up here it is free. Unfortuately, my wife has all the medical problems but everything is covered.

Greg , hope all will work out fine.

Glad you caught it early.

On the other discussion on checking regularly.

I just had a visit to the Internist for final talk about the trombose in my leg.

There is not something that would pinpoint the cause of the bloodcloth and the initial tests showed nothing.

There are a couple of possible reasons and one could debate whether this should be investigated. Eg there is a bloodfactor called Leiden V and this could be a cause.

This can be tested but it would not do any good, you can't change it and in the end the chances I will get another trombose are the same for people who don't have this.

On the negative side, once I know I have this I could get problems with insurance companies, I have to report this when I would apply for a new insurance etc.

I talked quite a bit with the Internist, he also said that a lot off things can be in the body for years with no negative side effects.

He gave another example where a full scan showed something on a lung, immediately this was operated and they only removed a non-harmfull thingy (sorry, don't know all the medical terms!).

But the guy's chest was opened up like a tin can.

There are also stories where someone is saved by such a full scan. So what to do.

I would say, keep an eye on your body (like Greg did when it bled too much) and remember that any invasive operation, how small it may be, is a risk.

Anyway, just my two cents !

I hope everyone will stays healthy !

John

Well.......I guess all this with Don and Greg is sort of in line with a few other guy's posting about their medical problems. And' date=' as much as we may not want to admit it, we're just getting older and more than likely these things will pop up, due to aging.

Important thing is to keep good tabs on yourself. Even then, you just never know what's going to happen. Last April my older brother had what he thought was just a common cold and a little scratchy throat. He was under a doctors care for other things, but didn't call the doctor right away. He just took some over the counter stuff. Felt better within a week and went back to work. By mothers day he was in the hospital and the doctor had to put him in an induced coma. They kept him in the coma until about mid June. He passed away July 15. He was only 67.

I've never been one to see a doctor on a regular basis. But.....after the holidays I think I should start going in at least for an annual check up. I already do that for my arthritis at the RH clinic, but that's just for the RH.[/quote']

Greg,

Heed the doctor's advice, and here's hoping all will go well.

Norm offers good advice...don't let yourself shrug off problems, get checked out by the doc. I think most of us tend to ignore the aches & pains, and somehow think they'll go away on their own. The older we get, the greater our chances of something significant ailing us. Don't let yourself fall into the trap of ignoring your ailments.:eek:

Well, it sounds like you were able to get fixed up without having to take your pants off. That's always a good thing.

I'm just starting the prostate adventure. There's gonna be lotsa pants-off time with things stuffed in all the exits. And that's just to find out what's wrong. I cringe thinking about what's involved with the actual repairs! I keep telling myself it's better than not being able to fix it. (Assuming it's fixable.)

Last month I had a spot on my ear froze off. DANG!!! That HURT!! It was sore as a boiled owl for a week!

Who was the dipstick that came up with the term "Golden Years"? There appears to be alot of tarnish on the gold!

Gettin' old ain't for wimps, but I guess it's better than the alternative!