Manifold Fun or not

RobertKB

I am taking the manifolds off my '48 Dodge coupe while waiting for a repaint of the repaint. I only managed to break one bolt off and that was one of the the long bolts that goes through the exhaust manifold. Hopefully this should not be too bad to remove once I get the manifold off as it broke near the top. I was as careful as possible and thought this one was coming nicely like the other until......that dreaded snap sound. Still have not got the manifold off yet as there were some bolts that only the nuts came off as well as other where all came out. I have it loosened from the top OK but am having trouble getting the bottom to break lose. Yes, I do have the nut off number 13 but the bolt is one of the ones that stayed in the block. It will get there skiwkt but I see I really need to replace the heat riser gasket and there is quite a bit of play in the shaft. I did a search and could not find a good source for a heat rise kit. I actually have a gasket but that is all. Anyone know where I can get one? I phoned Neil Riddle and he is out but gave me the number of Antique Auto Cellar which I will phone tomorrow. Any other possibilities? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am taking the manifolds off my '48 Dodge coupe while waiting for a repaint of the repaint. I only managed to break one bolt off and that was one of the the long bolts that goes through the exhaust manifold. Hopefully this should not be too bad to remove once I get the manifold off as it broke near the top. I was as careful as possible and thought this one was coming nicely like the other until......that dreaded snap sound. Still have not got the manifold off yet as there were some bolts that only the nuts came off as well as other where all came out. I have it loosened from the top OK but am having trouble getting the bottom to break lose. Yes, I do have the nut off number 13 but the bolt is one of the ones that stayed in the block. It will get there skiwkt but I see I really need to replace the heat riser gasket and there is quite a bit of play in the shaft. I did a search and could not find a good source for a heat rise kit. I actually have a gasket but that is all. Anyone know where I can get one? I phoned Neil Riddle and he is out but gave me the number of Antique Auto Cellar which I will phone tomorrow. Any other possibilities? Thanks in advance for any help.

I thought Michael Warsaw in New York just had this problem. Hopefully he will chime in with the answer.

...I made my gasket.Worked out okay.I still have some of the high heat gasket material I used with the metal weave impregnated in it.If you can't find one let me know. Ralph

Hi Robert,I should have read your post more carefully.You said you have a gasket - and looking for the kit :) Ralph

Anyway good luck on getting that broken oft stud out! This has happen in the past on this site and I know you can locate it somewhere on how to drill that bugger out! I did the same thing on my Dodge and just centered drilled out the stud and then used a small sharp prick puch to go down the sides of the hold and the old stud.

Anyway good luck on getting that broken oft stud out! This has happen in the past on this site and I know you can locate it somewhere on how to drill that bugger out! I did the same thing on my Dodge and just centered drilled out the stud and then used a small sharp prick puch to go down the sides of the hold and the old stud.

Good advice and I know Rockwood had the same problem. I probably still have 1 1/2" of bolt sticking out of the block once the manifold is off. It actually turned out part way before it broke so I am hoping with some penetrating oil and some heat and a good pair of vice grips, I can work it back and forth and get it out that way. If not, it will be the punch and drill routine. I broke a head bolt once and that was the way I had to get it out. Right now the manifold is giving me a bit of grief. I can move the top but not the bottom and I do have ALL the bolts out. I'll get there but it is one of those crappy jobs you wish was over. Once the manifold is off, gotta separate the two manifolds and install a heat riser kit and get the manifolds surfaced before replacing. I've needed to do this for a while and will be glad when I have it done.

Robert, I've been offline a bit, did I miss a thread about a repaint of a repaint? Sounds scary.

Car is repainted but the paint has a number of issues through no fault of the painter. Parts of the car need to be redone. I don't understand the details but he is the same guy who painted my '38 Chrysler and the paint on it is drop dead gorgeous.

In the meantime, I am replacing the radiator and heater core with better ones I got from a parts car (done), redoing the manifolds which have needed attention for a while, and I just changed out my front engine mount which was getting a bit tired after 30 years which is how long I have had this car on the road. I am also having the radio repaired and installing my cigarette lighter from the parts car. I will likely find other projects along the way also. It's kinda like restoring it again but not as much work. I will post pictures of the repaint when done. Oh yeah, new tires, too!

You'll be cruisin in style come springtime.

Spring time seems like a long time away. Right now it is about -30F with snow everywhere. Edmonton, the capital city of our province, is about 300 miles north and yesterday it hit -46C which is close to -50F which broke the old record http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Edmonton+shatters+cold+record/2337417/story.html. It is bloody cold. I love my heated garage!!! Global warming is OK in my book!!:P Supposed to warm some tomorrow.

Edited by RobertKB

Good advice and I know Rockwood had the same problem. I probably still have 1 1/2" of bolt sticking out of the block once the manifold is off. It actually turned out part way before it broke so I am hoping with some penetrating oil and some heat and a good pair of vice grips, I can work it back and forth and get it out that way. If not, it will be the punch and drill routine. I broke a head bolt once and that was the way I had to get it out. Right now the manifold is giving me a bit of grief. I can move the top but not the bottom and I do have ALL the bolts out. I'll get there but it is one of those crappy jobs you wish was over. Once the manifold is off, gotta separate the two manifolds and install a heat riser kit and get the manifolds surfaced before replacing. I've needed to do this for a while and will be glad when I have it done.

With that 1 1/2 in sticking out you should have an easy time getting it out. As long as something is sticking out we've had good luck using heat and either a vice grip or a screw driver slot cut into the top of the broken bolt.

With that 1 1/2 in sticking out you should have an easy time getting it out. As long as something is sticking out we've had good luck using heat and either a vice grip or a screw driver slot cut into the top of the broken bolt.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I am hoping heat and some vice grips will do the trick but time will tell. I still have not got the manifold off although I am making progress. The broken stud is the problem as it is binding all the way as it goes through the manifold.

most folks are where they are at due to family, their jobs, heavily invested into homes etc...most folks that JUST pick up and move either have nothing to move or are making that final retirement choice of location..to move to just be moving for me would rate right up there with getting hit by a train..

Just as common is the bushings for the shaft wearing out and causing an exhaust leak. My coupe has this too. A new heat riser is on my round-to-it list. My truck has a fixed riser that you are supposed to move for cold weather.

Robert' date='

Actually, your heat riser is supposed to move freely. Usually they don't need replacing unless they will not move.[/quote']

Norm, heat riser works great but there is an exhaust leak where the bushing for the shaft is on both sides and the gasket is looking tired. I agree, otherwise if it is working, I would leave it alone. I took the manifold off because it has leaks as well and I want to resurface it. I have a spare and I am going to take them both in to see which is the better one. Might as well do the heat riser at the same time.