New Rear Spring Source

Norm's Coupe

Was just flipping through a recent JC Whitney catalog. Ran across the suspension page. Right on top of the page it shows new rear leaf springs for all 1937 - 1985 Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge. Just gave the price range so checked out the exact price on P15 rear springs on their web site. New Rear Springs for the P15 are $117.99 each. They also show bushings for the sway bar under the suspension items on the web site for the P15.

Thought I would post this info for anyone looking for springs. The subject has come up a few times. The sway bar bushing question also pops up from time to time.

Bob,

I can't comment on the quality. However, on the website it says the brand name on the springs is Steel Craft. I can say that Steel Craft has been around for many, many years. So my guess would be they are good quality. If I needed new springs, I'd be ordering these myself.

Also, if you do decide to go with the JC Whitney springs, you might check on the shackles as well. The web site didn't bring up shackles for our cars. However, in the catalog there is a big notation on the page. Says, "Many parts on this page has too many different applications to list. Call to check on your vehicle." So, you may be able to get the shackles there too, if you need them.

I am biased when it comes to leaf springs. They are engineered to exacting specifications as to load and rate.

I have seen many of the shops supply replacement springs over the years by just guessing the load and rate specifications based on the length, thickness, and wide of the springs.

The problem with this is of course you don't get the correct spring. Therefore, I urge you to ask any spring maker for the Load and Rate specifications for your car.

If they don't have it or say it is not important then go elsewhere.

I have used Eaton Detroit Springs as they have the original blueprints and you can ask them for the specifications and if there was any alternate specifications available.

In my case for the Suburban there was 2 different sets of springs available. When I get around to getting new springs I can pick which one I want and/or specify something different.

If you want a correct ride and correct suspension action, don't cheep it out on springs.

Best, James

Very good points James. Dads 51 conv springs were too stiff after being restored. Besides looking funny it eventually lost the ujoints. We even removed 2 leaves back to the normal 7 of a reg car(converts had extra). So then we had to re replace them with properly made ones.