nice chopper on ebay

michael.warshaw

That's a pretty slick job. The olds grille fits in there pretty good. Chop has good lines. It reminds me of a near-period perfect 60's home built custom. Too bad about the gauges and steering wheel and non-Mopar mill but just my humble opinion.

Right on the money Norm!!

Actually, I thought Michael was talking about a Harley when I read the title of this thread. Only time I hear the word "chopper" it's always indicated a Harley motorcycle.:D

That said, I'm not big on chopped cars, but.........I do like the way this one looks. Not crazy about the seats though. He could have found some more stylish buckets for it.

That's funny I didn't see any GM "JUNK" in there. He used a bunch of really good, really dependable General Motors parts, but no junk. I do agree on the dash being ugly though. :D

I see you must have fallen down sometime in your life and taken a pretty good hit to the head!! GM parts belong in a GM not a MOPAR!! I think you need to give up the 48 to someone who will take good care of her and get yourself another bowtie! you are another one of these brain washed people who think a chevy is eaiser and cheaper to work on and keep up than a Mopar! please explain.

Edited by dezeldoc

Just for the sake of argument.........why is it that Chevy comes out the favorite for

motors and trans to be installed in other brands of cars? I would think you could find

just as many Ford parts just as cheap, and many Mopar items as well. Did Chevy

produce an engine that's really that much better???

I've never owned anything but a Chevy with Chevy power.....and probably

never will. I rather like the old Chrysler product stuff.

..I guess it's what the folks in marketing call "branding".Their job is to covince the consumer that their product is best :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

I have owned many GM products with small block motors. All have been great. I have only owned one Chrysler product with a small block ('66 Plymouth 318) that was junk. I still own three GM products; two as daily drivers and an old '78 GMC motorhome with the 400 small block. However, when it comes to really old cars, I love the Chrysler flathead six and have three cars with that as the engine. I would not combine the two brands even though I like both individually in different ways. My opinion for what it's worth and it may not be worth much!

Chevy engines in street rods are prevalent for a couple of reasons, chiefly I would suppose being price, and availability, and I'm not talking just getting parts. If you are hunting around for a buy on an engine to put in a car it's not too hard to find Chevy crates that were bought with big plans in mind, and were never installed. At least, I have done it twice, and saved around $500.00 both times, once in my 50 Chevy, and in my son's 67 Chevy PU. I imagine that with all the "project" cars that have now been sold on e-bay and craigs list, ect., that will get started on, and then run out of steam (time, effort,and money), on as far as restoring/hot rodding, that engines shouldn't be too hard to come by, and for whatever reason most of them are likely to be 350s. For some, it's not so much a question oif keeping "like" equipment and components in their cars, but getting something in them to get them running as cheap and easy as possible. What I always think is that regardless of what someone is doing with their car, it's probably a good chance they are saving it from being crushed, so it's no bad deal. When it gets right down to it I don't care what someone is doing with their own property, as long as they are the one paying for it. Joel

I think the SBCs are popular not only because they made so many, but just open something like a Speedway or Jeg's catalog and see how many people are making optional stuff for them. from intakes to headers, valve trains, cams, pistons, cranks, you-name-it, someone makes it for a small block. Usually quite a few choices in every category, like headers.

I have a friend who has built two nice Deuce roadsters with Ford 302 EFI powerplants, and he says the coupe he is building now will be a SBC. He made quite a colorful remark which I won't repeat about the relative power of the 302 vs a chevy.

Just for the sake of argument.........why is it that Chevy comes out the favorite for

motors and trans to be installed in other brands of cars? I would think you could find

just as many Ford parts just as cheap, and many Mopar items as well. Did Chevy

produce an engine that's really that much better???

hey Bob, I'll tell you why. I have been spending alot of time with street rodders here in the last 2 months. While they like street rods they also work on other peoples cars as well. When you are looking at a Ford( Don't get me wrong I have all makes) The Ford has 6 water pumps with 5 different pulleys, alternator pulleys that do not interchange. The most significant thing about Ford products for street rodding is the location of the "oil pan" it's in a position that does not clear the crossmember in most cars. The Chevy motor does, if you wanted to change the oil pan position the pick inside has to be changed and it's a pain:mad: You almost have to have one made.

The chevy motor has two water pumps and everything you buy is based on it. Long pump or the short pump. The alternator has left and right side that's it. When you are building a car from " scratch" the chevy is easier. Then there is price I don't have to get into that. You can go in the junk yard and fine what you need on the ground.

I love my Mopar, it's a treasure hunt to find what I call the best Mopar small block the "340" nothing chevy has is better than this motor however when Mopar abandoned us ( went to front wheel drive) The production of this great motor died. Chevy has been making and refining the small block since 1954-55.

Just think how great Mopar would have been now if the "red ram" or the 340 would have been refined for 50 years:)

just for the sake of arguement......... the chevy has the shortest block length front to rear...making the fit less invasive in terms of radiator and firewall massage..Ford and Mopar are approximately the same length..a tad long in most applications...I have a Ford engine that I have the Chevy waterpump mounted onto...really shortened the block up and gave me the room I needed to run a fan that should have been in place from the factory...

Its all about availability. These days you can walk into just about any chain drug store in the US and find an Aisle of Chevy crate motors, accessories and parts. Plus with your frequent customer card, they almost give the stuff away. And all the Chinese and Indian workers are cranking out billet stuff in their backyard smelters.

Ford and Chysler were also a bit more strict with their licensing of aftermarket suppliers for parts and stuff, have made parts harder to find and more expensive.

But the big impetus was when hot rodders learned that SBC's were lighter and cheaper and more readily available than the Flathead V8. Besides everybody's aunt had a tri 5 chevy with a v8 in the garage for cheap, when guys turned 16.