Unkka's new cruiser

Uncle-Pekka

Happy news fellows!

I managed to trade my unlucky wreck-cadillac...

It took a couple of fords as step-stones, but finally I happily landed on a full size Mopar!

I just drove home a 1977 New Yorker 2D Brougham coupe.

It's imported to Finland some time ago from Utah and is practically rust free!

I am so happy! 440cid + all possible goodies!

I need some random parts, probably gear wheels for the driver's power window mechanism, heater motor and the hood ornament as shown in below photo.

Pls toss a pm in case you have or know where to get the small parts for this toy.

/Pekka

merkki.jpg

(Actually my car is same color as the above pic.)

How are you going to feed that hungry 440 C.I. monster? :D

By letting her swallow regular gas though the in-build steel & rubber vains, I guess...?

(It's only $6.66 a gallon here in Finland)

Oh, by the way: They will issue a revised tax in March 2010 here: It will be based on total weight when it comes to older cars.

Well, whatever, the New Yorker is only 3 metric tons or so... (I must be out of my mind, but still I feel good to drive it)

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

Uncle when are you going to post pictures:D:D:DI can't wait:)You'll love it, it's like sitting on your couch going down the road!

Good description; just like on a luxurious sofa going 75mph with a whisper.

kraisu043.jpg

kraisu038.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've been cleaning and tuning up the New Yorker while she's been hibernating in the back yard for the long & cold winter. Soon it will be the time to take her back to road.

Is there a club or web-forum for these somewhere here?

I found one called "New Yorker's online". There are lots of useful info there; Instructions how-to-fix some picked items, such as AC, power windows, etc.

But it really lacks a forum to discuss with co-owners. There is a Yahoo-group, but the concept sucks: You sign up to receive each & every e-mail to your mailbox - no matter the subject or author. You'll end up with a huge pile of meaningless "hello"s every day. Pain in the back to dig up the golden nuggets of info there.

Someone knows a club or forum for these, please give me a hint. Thanks!

/Pekka

Pekka,

Actually I think you can join a Yahoo group and opt not to receive emails and just visit the site to read the postings. Click on "Join this group" and at the end of the list check the appropriate boxes. At least that is how the Yahoo Woodies group works.

Jim Yergin

Thanks Joe.

The thing is, 1976 I was 14 and went to see an exhibition the local dealer of Dodge (& japanese Datsun) put up in our small town. American cars were high end of the price scale in Finland back then. Dodge Monaco was for CEO's of big companies only. Dart was a fine car for our opinion. The Dealer throw a jackpot for us. I do not know how, but he brought the entire line to the show: The Royal Monaco, Charger, Coronet in all body styles and the Dart too.

I sat in all of the Dodges and studied the engines, interiors and paint jobs half day. It was a memorable event for me.

I also remember those TV detectives. Canon was my favorite, he drove Lincoln Continental and sun was shining all the time.

When I saw this one up for grabs I sort of knew I had to have it. Fortunately these are not high bucks these days. Gas is climbing and we just got a new pollution based tax here, thus big boats are not popular for common man.

I suppose this one would not be considered a jewel. There are some dings in the body and the AC in not working, but it has been in Utah, thus no rust anywhere. It's also been taken good care. It is purring like a kitten, well, a big cat it is.

Thanks for the hints, Harold & Jim.

No, it's a relic of the 1970s, that's for sure. It's interesting just for that reason. Way over the top--and fun.

I had a 1974 Dodge Dart. It was my first car and I absolutely loved it. I wish I knew more about cars then. I also wish I wasn't so careless and impulsive. I might still have that car today. Interesting about them having the show in Finland. Now, I'll bet if you turn on the radio, the only thing it will play is either Abba or the Bee Gees. If that happens, get rid of the car.

Holy mackerel. That thing is a monster. Looks like it's in great condition. I'll bet if you watch some of those old 70's detective shows, you'll see one of those. Looks like something Cannon or Mannix or Jim Rockford would have driven.

Cannon Lincoln

Rockford firebird

Mannix cuda

That back seat looks really comfy. Is that "corinthinan" leather?

I guess it is... Where ever it came from, it's not bad quality. Even the drivers seat does not have any wear or stains. Compared to modern ergonomic design seats, these are more show than go, but leather with deep knit buttons do look rich. Also the front seats are with all power gadgets, go every way controlled by small joy sticks...

Eric,

Thanks for the Imperial link. Some good information in there as well.

Cannon Lincoln

Rockford firebird

Mannix cuda

Whoa. I didn't know that. Joe Mannix used to crack me up for some reason. For one thing, they had him doing all these stunts in the opening for the show, rolling over the hood of a car, kicking a door in, leaping from one rooftop to another. One, he looked too old to be doing all that stuff and, two, he was doing it in a plaid blazer. When we were teenagers, we'd be do this thing called "The Joe Mannix." We'd be out walking somewhere, and one of us would just get the urge to do a Joe Mannix and go sprinting toward a parked car and throw himself over the hood, roll over it, and fall on the ground on the other side. There was usually beer involved. Later on, I perfected falling down a flight of stairs without getting hurt. Looked pretty convincing.

A lot of those stand up on a spring hood ornements became some of the first HIP Hoppers Bling. Worn on a chain around the neck of some baggy pantsed gangsta wanabe. the New Yorkers were even popular for diggin the scene with a gangsta lean.

According to an internet source there weren't many two doors made, and that 440 will be toting around nearly the weight of 2 P15's

1977 New Yorker cars

Body Style Price Weight Production

CS23 (2-door) $7,090 4,676 16,875

CS43 (4-door) $7,215 4,739 45,252

http://www.moparhemi.com/New%20Yorker%20History.html

I remember kids in middle school stealing hood ornaments(called them hoodies I believe) the gold caddilac ones were the most popular. Then the silver ones after that. My best friend and I had a good laugh back then when someone attempted and failed to steal the ornament off their fairmount station wagon.

Whoa. I didn't know that. Joe Mannix used to crack me up for some reason. For one thing, they had him doing all these stunts in the opening for the show, rolling over the hood of a car, kicking a door in, leaping from one rooftop to another. One, he looked too old to be doing all that stuff and, two, he was doing it in a plaid blazer. When we were teenagers, we'd be do this thing called "The Joe Mannix." We'd be out walking somewhere, and one of us would just get the urge to do a Joe Mannix and go sprinting toward a parked car and throw himself over the hood, roll over it, and fall on the ground on the other side. There was usually beer involved. Later on, I perfected falling down a flight of stairs without getting hurt. Looked pretty convincing.

Now Joe don't be cracken on, "The Plaid". "The Plaid" is cool. I'm gonna do my interior "The Plaid". Plaid's comin' back.:D

Pekka, I have amate here in Oz who has a mid 70's New Yorker also, have sent him an email, his name is Brian O'Connor so if you get an email from him, he's o/k........andyd