Floor boards

michael.warshaw

I used him and he was great. This was a few years ago and I don't know if he works the same way but he asked me to send him photos of my floor along with basic info on year, model, etc. Two big packages arrived a short time later, new floor pans for either side of the transmission hump from the firewall to the back seat. I installed them myself with little fuss. There are other guys who have used him and they have posted good things, too. I had him make rockers for my car, which wound up being the wrong kind. I shipped them back to him and he mailed me a refund, so that's a big mark in his favor. I recommend him.

If it's only a couple of small areas, I wouldn't go buying entire floor panels. Have someone cut out the bad metal and weld patches in.

Michael, this is good advice. However, if there are big areas needing attention, then go for a full floor pan.

The floor on the drivers side of my coupe looked worse than yours, and I was still able to patch it in myself with just plain sheet metal and shaping it, and I'm not a body man by any stretch. But.........since you've already spent the money on new floor pans, you may as well do a complete job. Installing new floor pans alone will not stop drafts, water, dirt, fumes, etc. from getting into the car. Looking at the pictures I see you are missing the draft boots on the brake and clutch arms. Without those, you will still have nice big holes in the floor, even with your new floor pans. You can find new draft boots at Steele Rubber.

Looking at the pictures, maybe it was a good idea. It kind of looks like all the pictures are of the transmission hump/drivers floor area. Is that where the damage is concentrated? If so, I still think you could have gotten away with spot repair. But if you've got moderate rust throughout and who knows how many shoddy repairs, maybe the best thing is new floor pans.

Actually, Gil's floor pans may need a little trimming too. I know of one person in northern Illinois who had to trim the pans he got from Gil. This guy has a P15 club coupe also.

That said. Gil's pans are still good. Even buying floor pans from the top old Ford vendors, you still need to trim them most of the time to make them fit.

That's right, Norm. I had to trim them, too. He'll get you close, though. The most difficult parts were where I messed up cutting out the old material and cut out too much and then had a larger gap to weld than I would have preferred. I still made it work but it was tedious filling those areas with molten metal and grinding flat.

I was about to say that if I didn't burn my car down during that project, then it's home free but maybe not. I probably could burn the car down during some other phase of the project. Who knows what surprises await? That's the joy of this hobby.