Jeepers Creepers

Don Coatney

Do you use a creeper?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a creeper?

All this talk about using a comforter under the car is very comforting. I might try it. I usually beat the heck out of myself lying on whatever happens to be under the car, usually concrete or the brick pavers in my driveway. I don't use creeper because I don't have a flat surface and it won't roll. Also, I seldom have enough clearance. It would wind up being the first thing that I'd chuck if I lost my cool.

The cardboard works good, even in the garage, if you're planning to spill something like ATF all over the place. I had a wood creeper, didn't work very well. A buddy gave me a nice 6 wheel creeper with an adjustable headrest, it eases a lot of strain on the neck muscles. I oiled all six casters, laid on the creeper on my concrete driveway with a slight grade, and rolled right down the drive, out of control, until I cleverly stopped myself by ramming my head into the floor jack handle.

The cardboard works good, even in the garage, if you're planning to spill something like ATF all over the place. I had a wood creeper, didn't work very well. A buddy gave me a nice 6 wheel creeper with an adjustable headrest, it eases a lot of strain on the neck muscles. I oiled all six casters, laid on the creeper on my concrete driveway with a slight grade, and rolled right down the drive, out of control, until I cleverly stopped myself by ramming my head into the floor jack handle.

Pictures:confused::D

All this talk about using a comforter under the car is very comforting. I might try it. I usually beat the heck out of myself lying on whatever happens to be under the car, usually concrete or the brick pavers in my driveway. I don't use creeper because I don't have a flat surface and it won't roll. Also, I seldom have enough clearance. It would wind up being the first thing that I'd chuck if I lost my cool.

I dont use a comforter. I use a furniture pad. It is much more comforting than a comforter.

Mvc-005f.jpg

...maybe I'm a pussy like Rollie says... because my friend Manual worked on his P15 outdoors in all kinds of weather right in the dirt and mud and he got it running and cruising in the local shows in record time!!! Oh... but don't mention to him that sedans are for pussies because he's one dude that would likely take your head off in one clean blow. He loves his sedan!! :D

Edited by David Maxwell
typo

I trashed my old jack stands as unsafe a long while ago and haven't bothered replacing them, so there is not enough room under the car for a creeper, so I just slide on under.

I have a pair of overalls in the garage that I put on for getting under the car. Not as much padding as a furniture blanket or piece of cardboard, but they do move where I move without me thinking about repositioning them.

That picture reminds me of what it's like working with my brother. He drives me nuts. Don, how long did it take you to pick all that stuff up after the photo opp?

Normspeed:

I laughed out loud at your post. Will relate the story to above mentioned brother, who loves stuff like that.

Overalls sound like a good idea for me. I ruin too many sets of clothes.

Don . If this photo was found on Shorpy ..It might read like this :

While Police in pursuit of a stolen p-15 , The driver lost control of his vehicle , ran through a Harbor Freight store front and came to rest ontop a pedestrian who was on his way to unclog Mrs Jones toilet ... :)

I always know where my tools can be found.

coatneystools.jpg

I use one as floor is too hard on my bones. It is hard to get up and down so once down try to move around on the creeper as much as possible. Cardboard use to be my tool of choice but not bad knees and bad back limit my mobility. Be nice if I had side boards to keep me from sliding off when I try to roll on uneven surface.

...The creeper I have,I picked up at a "garage" sale.An old guy's family was selling off the contents of his garage.I didn't know him or his family and he wasn't present at the sale.This guy had a great collection of old car stuff and a lot had been sold before I happened by.I did buy a few tools however including a creeper.This was towards the end of the day and possibly if I hadn't bought it,the creeper may have ended up in the trash.It was well used and covered with a thick layer of hardened grease and dirt.The wood was solid though and the wheels in good shape so I took it home and scraped the grime and grease off and generally cleaned it and it's quite serviceable.I can only imagine the countless hours the old gent spent on his back working under vehicles using this creeper...It's one item maybe the family should have kept...

Edited by Ralph D25cpe