who were these cars for?

michael.warshaw

The reason my grandfather on my Father's side drove Plymouths is that he didn't like the Chevy dealer in town, and the Ford dealer in 1937 was just starting out, so he didn't dare do business with them. According to my Uncle, Grandpa did test drive a '37 Chevy but like I said, he didn't like the dealer

THe pricing of the Chryler family determine what car you could afford.

The Chrysler family in pricing was this:

Chrysler Imperial

Chrysler

DeSoto

Dodge

Plymouth

It was the same as it is now the car companies have a high to ow range on their cars with in each brand.

The plymouth was the average day car chryler being if you had some money.

The dealerships paired a high price car with a lower priced car. Chrylser/Dodge Desoto/Plymouth

The Desoto was also known as the poormans Chrysler. Also the Desoto was also know to be the experimental car for the Chryslers. If they wanted to try out something new they would put it on the Desoto first.

Rich hartung

...So I suppose we could say that Plymouths were built for the hoi polloi ;)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

...as they are today.

1. Four door sedan = Family

2. Two door sedan = Lots of friends, but doesn't want a family image

3. Club Coupe = Wants friends (especially female) but wants to appear anything but tied down to either a family or a particular female.

4. Business Coupe = Traveling salesman who would benefit greatly from the space and convienance of a sedan, but wants to be sure he's seen as "available" while on the road, even if he's not.

5. Convertible = Single and daring or at least wants to appear that way

6. Wagon = Early version of the Soccer Mom van.

In the U.S., from 1930 through 1959 Chrysler Corp. had three dealer networks - Plymouth-Dodge, Plymouth-DeSoto and Plymouth-Chrysler. When the Dodge Dart came out for 1960, the Plymouth-Dodge dealers dropped Plymouth and when the DeSoto was dropped many dealers took on Chrysler.

My father and his two brothers never bought Ford products after an incident their uncle had at a Ford dealer.

Their uncle did not know how to drive but one day stopped in to look at the new (1938) Fords. He talked to the salesman who offered a good deal on a used 1937. Not knowing how to drive was no problem and the salesman gave my great uncle a few lessons in driving - how to shift gears, brake and the basics in parking.

The salesman then took my great uncle down to the motor vehicle office on Kennedy Street where he took his driving test. The tester's office windows looked out on to the street. The person taking the test would then start the car, drive off, turn right at the next three intersections and then park the car back in front of the tester's office. The tester never left his office. If you could do this test and return with no more dents than when you left and could park decently, you passed.

Which my great uncle did, paying $1.00 for his license and signing in the appropriate place. And after paying the dealer, he had a nice used 1937 Ford.

A short while later, my great uncle was driving down Sargent Avenue, crossed a set of railway tracks, and had the whole windshield shatter. He drove to his garage, and someone standing on the work bench retrieving some parts looked out at the car. Looking across the roof he noticed the roof was not smooth - the car had been rolled.

My great uncle went back to the dealer, who would not give him his money back, but did give him a good deal on an almost new 1938 Ford. And from that my father owned mainly Chrysler products for the rest of his life while his two brother had mainly Chrysler and GM products - no Fords.

Bill

Vancouver, BC