Getting Started, 1948 Plymouth

maine48ply

I just purchased a 1948 PLymouth Special Deluxe, after much searching. I have been taking some body shop classes over the last few years and feel ready for my own project, especially with the Maine winter approaching.

My goal is to have a nice, safe, reliable car, so I can drive my wife to church on Sunday's, then putter around as I please.

My immediate concern is the wiring, its all original and in poor condition. It seems I have the option to by all the harnesses premade, or create my own. Cost is the issue. I have priced the online site (Naragansett) and total cost for all the wiring would be around $950. Also, this is my first attempt at wiring. I would appreciate any comments you folks would have, thoughts, suggestions. Also, the undercarriage is filthy. I would love to clean it up to see better what I have. I have been told that oven cleaner is a good option for general cleanup under there. Thoughts on that?

I also posted in a different place on this site....I'll get 'er figured out eventually.

I rewired my car with modern wire but heavy for 6v use for about $100. Probably could have done it cheaper but I bought I think 100ft rolls of each color. So I have a lot of wire leftover

I am in the process of rewiring my 47. The wiring is "loom" is just seperate wires taped together. I found that by cutting the tape off tracking the wires is pretty easy. I just did 1 at a time. Takes a little time but it is alot cheaper. Get yourself a roll of 12 and 14 guage and go to it. Once all the wires are all replaced (there are not that many actually) just have some electrical tape handy. I used different colored tape to mark off the different runs. Like I said go slow and the wiring is fairly easy to figure out.

Good luck and remember to have fun playing.

I rewired my 53, at least the engine, overdrive and headlights so far. pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself. There are several methods. I tagged every wire at both ends as to where it connected, then removed the harness, stripped off the tape wrap covering, and cut each wire to match the old ones in length and color.

Here's a link to an earlier thread on rewiring:

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=13205&highlight=wiring

You would want either some basic soldering skills and materials such as heat shrink, or a good quality ratcheting crimper and plenty of decent quality end terminals. I like harbor freight but not for their electrical terminals. Too lightweight. Rhode Island wiring sells complete harnesses, great quality but up in the price range you mentioned.

Have you got a service manual yet? There is one available on ebay, under $30., called the 1946-1954 Plymouth Service manual. You'll need one and it contains wiring diagrams in addition to tons of other great info.

When I cleaned up the frame on mine when the engine was out, I first used a putty knife to scrape off 90% of the old goop, then plenty of Gunk foaming engine cleaner. A nasty job, careful you don't track it into your house. I did mine with the car over a tarp, and when I was done I rolled up the tarp and dumped it. Also threw away the shoes I was wearing.

It's a good practice to get the car running, charging, etc. before the rework, so you're sure any glitches later are not due to your work.

Edited by Normspeed

You might also check out the universal style hot rod harnesses. The P15 harness is pretty simple as far as circuits is concerned. I looked at a 10 circuit harness for a 30 something ford 3 or 4 years ago which was fairly cheap. It was however meant fo 12 V. If you are staying 6 V you need thicker wires. Speaking of which, you want to make sure your primary battery cables are nice and thick 1 gauge or 0 gauge. Alot of them have been switched to thin 12V style which don't carry enough current. Also keep in mind the factory set up was POSITIVE ground.

Good luck with your project, and welcome.

i am blown away by all the great info and quick reply's. I was just watching Uconn playing ND in overtime, came back to see any post's, and here you all are. I am alot more comfortable in doing this myself now.

I do have the service manual. Actually, the car came with a great history from the 1st owner to now, I am the 4th owner.

Again, thanks folks, I really appreciate you.

Mark

Some one on this board, several years ago, pulled out his entire stock harness, after labeling everything, and layed it down and securred it to a sheet of plywood, and built his new harness either over it or next to it.

As far as rule of thumb for wire gauges if you are staying 6V, high loads (headlamps, heater, horn, lighter, etc) use 10 gauge. Medium load, (running lights interior lamps, tur signals, ignition, etc) use 12 gauge, light load (instrument lights, courtesy lights, etc) 14/16 gauge. If in doubt go bigger.

So Syracuse spanked Rutgers today and finally looked like a football team, they play Uconn next week, hopefully they can give them a good game. One more letter on Charlie's pink slip. They just talked on one of the post game shows about how much it would cost ND to relpace the coach. Something in the neighborhood of 45 Million.

20mil to pay off the contracts of the current staff and the rest to attract and pay the new bunch. Wonder how much ticket prices would go up then. Good thing it just a bunch of kids in dhort pants playing a game.

If you need to replace the wiring for the taillights, brake light, etc., you'll probable want to reroute it. The original wiring for those items runs above the headliner on the driver's side. So unless you're going to remove the headliner, you'll want to run those circuits either under the vehicle, or under the carpet.

I appreciate the tips on wire sizes, it was going to be my next question.

Also, removing the entire harness seems daunting, is it actually easier to do that, or to do 1 wire at a time. I will need to remove the headliner at some point, so I'd be able to go up that way. I didn't know there was wiring up there, imagine that!

Just got back from an Arlo Guthrie & Family concert....the man is a legend.

If you have never replaced a lot of wires. For the money, time and look. Call Rhode Island Wiring. 1/2 of what you were previously quoted. Pull out the old, put in the new. Its right the first time.

Cleaning, Oven cleaner is the way to go, but first I would find someone who has one of the hot water pressure washers. My friend has a sonstruction company and they use it clean his earthmoving equipment. I would think you could ask around and someonw would let you do for a small price. I would first clean off all of the big stuff, spray it wil oven cleaner and let it sit, and hot water blast it, you will not be disappointed.

You're right, the cost appears to be quite a bit less than I had found at the Naragansett place. I will give them a call on Monday.

Also, I am glad to hear the confirmation about the oven cleaner. I have actually started the cleaning process with a putty knife, scraping off all I can. Its very therapuetic, laying under an old Plymouth, slowing uncovering a nut or bolt I didn't know was even there, like a treasure hunt..

I have a Rhode Island harness in my car, and I'm very happy with it.

They are also willing to do custom modifications as well, so you might want to think about your long-term goals for the car before you order a harness. On my car I wanted to run 6V-60W halogen headlights, so I had them add in wiring for headlight relays and up the gauge of the wiring from the relay to the headlight bucket. I also had them add turn signal wiring both front and rear and delete the voltage regulator wiring since I was running a single wire 6V alternator.

Marty

Funny, I was just recently wondering what ever became of Arlo. Must be the Thanksgiving season.:D

I would get a kick out of seeing him perform.

Normspeed! you are gona miss this years mooneyes? come down to cali Dec 12th! its gona be a great car party! Im gona take my vw bug. Im back at the desoto welding and grinding. I feel like this time, Im gona stick to it til the end! anyways, hope you can make it!:)

maine48ply, you did it! She is a beauty! get some wires on her and cruiser her around!!!!:)

Looks as though you have a nice car for a good start at restroation, and also a good shop to work in. I found out really quick that this is the best site to get help on anything with your mopar. We drive our 47 to church every Sunday. One of the best things I enjoy about driving my car is all the people I meet. We met a couple from New York today. They were going to New Mexico. We visited for about 15 minutes in the resturant parking lot. Good luck on your car, and enjoy! MW

That P15 looks a bit like the one Arthur is selling. A great start for a fun driver.

Mackster, I sure missed the Father's Day show in Pomona. I'd love to come out for Mooneyes and stay for the Grand National Roadster Show in January, but your neighbors would probably complain about me sleeping in my wagon in the back alley for that long:D