Interesting P-15 Photo

steveplym

That's a neat picture. But.......is it my eyesight, or is the window in the coupe and the car just below it rolled down? Looks like it to me as I don't see any glare on glass in those two.

I now have a nice 8 x 10 copy of the photo to frame and hang on the wall. Thanks for posting that.

Edited by Norm's Coupe

Norm, I enlarged the picture on my computer, and it sure does appear the window is

rolled down. The coupe has those white metal trim rings that give it the appearance

of having whitewalls. Also, the four door on top, and the front bottom car seem to

have some sort of sign in the windows.

That Dodge C O E tractor unit is pretty cool too.

Did any one take note that in all of the pictures of the car carriers that they could only deliver 4 cars or vehicles at one time as compared to what they now carry on the modern car carriers.

Just a point of interest. Also nice to see that the Mopars were being delivered with a Dodge COE truck. I wonder if this was done by choice or just by accident.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Rich,

I did notice there were only 4 cars too, just forgot to mention that. Probably did that for two reasons. One is, they didn't make and sell as many cars back then. Then, maybe with the enclosed trailer, it was too much weight for the truck to pull on the highway, Or, it would have made the truck overweight for the old two lane asphalt highways to handle back then.

I received an email showing those car haulers today.

There's one truck with Packards which has a framework to hold one car on the

back of the tractor unit, in front of the trailer.

There's another pic showing a Ford tractor pulling a load of Studebakers....with a

rack over the tractor holding a car.

So that system has been around for a while evidently.

I can't figure out how to post those truck pictures from the e-mail.

I can forward that e-mail to someone else who knows how to transfer them

to here.

I received an email showing those car haulers today.

There's one truck with Packards which has a framework to hold one car on the

back of the tractor unit, in front of the trailer.

There's another pic showing a Ford tractor pulling a load of Studebakers....with a

rack over the tractor holding a car.

So that system has been around for a while evidently.

I can't figure out how to post those truck pictures from the e-mail.

I can forward that e-mail to someone else who knows how to transfer them

to here.

Bob,

You have to right click on the picture in the email. Then select "save image as" and save it on your computer or a disc. Then you can load the picture here providing the file size is within the limits.

Are these the ones Bob?

image012.jpg

image018.jpg

I had them emailed to me by Byronb3b a couple of weeks ago and posted them over on the truck board. Being a truck guy, I think this one is my favorite.

image008.jpg

Here's a link to my Photobucket album with the rest of them. http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/mac2026/Car%20Haulers/

My dad acquired a 48 Packard on a road trip in the 50's, when our 40 Hudson threw a rod on the Jersey Turnpike. The details of the deal are quite a story. Anyway, the Packard was a real highway car, very smooth, and one helluva oil burner. Had Overdrive, and Dad never really mastered the intracacies of freewheeling. Always yelled at us kids when the darned thing started freewheeling. And we were all in the back seat!

Edited by Normspeed