Line In the Sand Poll

Norm's Coupe

What Are You Or Have You Done?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What Are You Or Have You Done?

• Did you/or are you planning a frame off full blown restoration?
    • Are you just making the car look good and building a safe driver?

My truck was a frame off rebuild. However, after I took off the front clip to remove the engine, and removed the bed to clean and replace the rusty pieces, there wasn't much left. While I was cleaning it up I decided it wouldn't take much to lift the cab off too so I could clean and paint the frame thoroughly. By then I was fully commited to a frame off build. It wasn't bad, but like has been said here before, you need more extra space and the means to lift the body.

P8130494.jpg

Merle

I did whatever was necessary to to make my 47 Chrysler CC, safe, presentable, and appealing to me.

I am still finishing her up, she is only a driver, but started out as a real wreck.

If I had the time, equipment, money and patience, I would have lifted the body off the frame for a more professional weld and sheet metal repair underneath.

Once she is more or less finished, plan to do a 50s Dodge or Fargo Truck, might consider a frame off for that project......Fred

Back to the top.

Are there really only 79 people on this forum? That's not what the stats say. Don't be bashful, vote. You don't have to make a reply post. If you only vote, no one can see who is voting.

This poll will close on 12/16, then it won't allow anymore votes afterward.

Edited by Norm's Coupe

I guess the key words here "are you PLANNING" a frame off... the problem is I wasn't planning on any of it. I just wanted to paint it but that lead to sand blasting. I didn't plan on taking the car apart. Just one thing lead to another and before you know it - bam I'm in debt.

but the car looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

I guess the key words here "are you PLANNING" a frame off... the problem is I wasn't planning on any of it. I just wanted to paint it but that lead to sand blasting. I didn't plan on taking the car apart. Just one thing lead to another and before you know it - bam I'm in debt.

but the car looks great.

the plain and simple answer is heck no

If anyone has seen the coupe my father (Bobt) inlaw has posted with the tree across the top

thats little jewel is all mine now! I have complete top now all the way to the seem on the fire wall

I need to straighten the quarters measure and get the door gaps correct weld braces in then weld the new top on .

Make shure the doors/ trunk open and close correctly. fix the rust the floors, then get some glass in it and then worry about paint

I really can't see myself making shure the bottom is as pretty as the top.

I will wire brush the entire bottom and probably put bed coating on it but media blasting it putting it on the rotisarie and painting the bottom no thanks

besides every car that i have sent to to blasted came with a lot more work than would have been necessary before.

I am about having a great driver as well as a semi show car

I have 33 ford sedan delivery in the shop now that I have over a 1000 hours in it know and its just ready to be painted

new pete and jakes frame, powder coated, corvette suspension, L6 motor, 700 r4. steel floor, recessed fire wall ect ect ect.

any ways i want to be able to drive my early 49 club coupe in the near future not the the next year or two or three.

I have built to many garage queens for other people I want something I love but I can jump in it and drive to work or across country

without worring about it

Guys I will post pictures as soon as I can figure how to do it and show my progress.

thanks dale

hope i didn't hi jack the post I'm new to this kind of thing,

if I do or say something stupid tell me ill fix it

thanks again Dale

Edited by Bobtjr(dale)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like i'm barely making it in time here ..... Would love to do a full blown frame up , but just dont have the space ..time ..or finances . With that being said i do plan on doing a body up sometime in the future (i.e remove the front clip..remove engine for detail etc ..).For the time being i just plan to drive it when i get it road worthy , hopefully by spring and let the patina on it enjoy some sun !

P.s Been really busy this summer and havent spent much time on here , hope all is well with everyone !

Mike

I don't...or at least not often enough to say that I do...too dang busy on everything else..I last drove the 54 on Hallloween...between out of town, company and rain, maintenace on my car, moo's car, dad's car and evertything else..did get one good day in there on the station wagon welding etc..

I don't...or at least not often enough to say that I do...too dang busy on everything else..I last drove the 54 on Hallloween...between out of town, company and rain, maintenace on my car, moo's car, dad's car and evertything else..did get one good day in there on the station wagon welding etc..
Tim, there is at least one advantage living in Minnesota--we got ALL winter to work on ours---I hate all this damn shoveling snow--shovel-shovel--can`t wait for spring.....Lee

My old car isn't a driver, though it was when we bought it 30 years ago. My bad, as they say. It's now 70+ years old and hasn't been run in 30 years. Last time it even rolled was about 15 years ago, when we pushed it from its muddy outdoor spot into the garage. All the tires now have those big flat bulgy spots where they rest on the concrete.

It needs a lot more than a few repairs to make it roadworthy, ya know? So yes, disassemble. Get the body off the frame, along with all the other parts. Do it right.

BS

Not as often as I guess I should. Did drive it around town last week. And just before Thanksgiving took it on a one day trip of approximately 250 miles.

Tod;

I have hot driven my car in 7 weeks. I have been on the road way too long. I head home this coming Thursday and will be home for the rest of the year. I hope the weather allowes me to put a few miles on my car.